May 26, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
As expected, the Phillies activated Jose Contreras from the disabled list prior to today’s game.
Madson had his first rough outing of the season earlier this week, but he’s 9-for-9 converting saves with a 1.71 ERA. Prior to landing on the DL in mid-April Contreras had thrown eight scoreless innings and saved five games.
David Herndon was optioned back to Triple-A to make room on the roster and in the bullpen for Contreras’ return.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)