May 26, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
As expected, the Phillies activated Jose Contreras from the disabled list prior to today’s game.
Madson had his first rough outing of the season earlier this week, but he’s 9-for-9 converting saves with a 1.71 ERA. Prior to landing on the DL in mid-April Contreras had thrown eight scoreless innings and saved five games.
David Herndon was optioned back to Triple-A to make room on the roster and in the bullpen for Contreras’ return.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 26
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)