May 26, 2011, 2:09 AM EDT
Wilson Valdez threw a hitless 19th inning and became the first position player since Colorado’s Brent Mayne in 2000 to record a victory as the Phillies beat the Reds 5-4 in 19 innings Wednesday.
The game was the longest in the majors since the Mets edged the Cardinals 2-1 in 20 innings on April 17, 2010.
Vadez played 18 innings at second base and went 3-for-6 before moving to the mound. The contest also featured Carlos Ruiz‘s second career appearance at third base and two very long relief appearances.
Valdez took over after Danys Baez, the last man in the Philadelphia pen, pitched five scoreless innings. Reds reliever Carlos Fisher matched Baez, throwing five scoreless innings of his own before giving up a run in his sixth inning of work. Fisher ended up throwing a whopping 95 pitches in relief.
Working the top of the 19th, Valdez gave up a long shot to center to Joey Votto to begin the inning, but it was hauled in by Manny Martinez. He then hit Scott Rolen with a pitch before Jay Bruce flied out and Fisher popped out.
The game ended with Raul Ibanez‘s sac fly with one out in the bottom of the 19th.
No one had pulled off Valdez’s feat in 11 years. Mayne was the last to do it, pitching a scoreless 12th inning as the Rockies beat the Braves 7-6 on Aug. 22, 2000. Rockies manager Buddy Bell managed to run through nine pitchers in 11 innings in that one.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 0
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 61
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 29
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (157)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)