May 26, 2011, 2:09 AM EDT
Wilson Valdez threw a hitless 19th inning and became the first position player since Colorado’s Brent Mayne in 2000 to record a victory as the Phillies beat the Reds 5-4 in 19 innings Wednesday.
The game was the longest in the majors since the Mets edged the Cardinals 2-1 in 20 innings on April 17, 2010.
Vadez played 18 innings at second base and went 3-for-6 before moving to the mound. The contest also featured Carlos Ruiz‘s second career appearance at third base and two very long relief appearances.
Valdez took over after Danys Baez, the last man in the Philadelphia pen, pitched five scoreless innings. Reds reliever Carlos Fisher matched Baez, throwing five scoreless innings of his own before giving up a run in his sixth inning of work. Fisher ended up throwing a whopping 95 pitches in relief.
Working the top of the 19th, Valdez gave up a long shot to center to Joey Votto to begin the inning, but it was hauled in by Manny Martinez. He then hit Scott Rolen with a pitch before Jay Bruce flied out and Fisher popped out.
The game ended with Raul Ibanez‘s sac fly with one out in the bottom of the 19th.
No one had pulled off Valdez’s feat in 11 years. Mayne was the last to do it, pitching a scoreless 12th inning as the Rockies beat the Braves 7-6 on Aug. 22, 2000. Rockies manager Buddy Bell managed to run through nine pitchers in 11 innings in that one.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 13
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 37
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)