May 26, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Josh Lewin was so good and so popular as the Rangers’ play-by-play announcer that replacing him was a very tall task, but John Rhadigan probably thought he had at least a little job security.
Less than two months after stepping into Lewin’s big shoes Rhadigan has been fired, according to Richie Witt of the Dallas Observer.
In talking to some Rangers fans the consensus seems to be that Rhadigan was pretty shaky early on in what was his first play-by-play gig and has been criticized a lot by fans and media members.
However, when asked to evaluate Rhadigan’s performance as recently as two weeks ago Rangers president Nolan Ryan said:
I feel as if he is improving his play-by-play. We are asking him to do something he hasn’t done and need to give him time.
Apparently “need to give him time” meant “we’ll fire him in 15 days.”
T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that Dave Barnett will move from the radio side to replace Rhadigan.
Can anyone recall another announcer being let go in the middle of a season for performance-related reasons rather than health problems or personal issues?
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)