May 26, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
In that Sports Illustrated article we mentioned the other day, Fred Wilpon suggested that the team’s payroll is going to be slashed pretty dramatically next year, perhaps down to $100 million. Sandy Alderson spoke with the media yesterday, however, and he suggested that things may not be cut that low. More like down to $120 million or so, give or take.
Alderson did note that, obviously, there are a ton of factors in play that could affect that number including the minority investor who may or may not come on board soon, legal wrangling, what have you. Either way around $65 million is coming off the books following this season, so you know that payroll is going down regardless, but it will be interesting to see whose vision of the team’s future — Fred Wilpon or Sandy Alderson’s — will prevail.
But hey, at least Alderson is keeping a sense of humor about it all:
“If the world had ended on Saturday, like it was supposed to we wouldn’t have to deal with these things.”
Tip your waitresses everyone, and be sure to try the veal.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 1
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 48
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)