May 27, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
Carlos Zambrano tossed six innings of two-run ball against the Mets yesterday, improving to 5-2 with a 4.59 ERA, but pitched through neck pain and afterward went to the hospital for X-rays.
According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago doctors found “that the discomfort was coming from a knot in his neck and is mostly muscular.”
Zambrano is not expected to miss a turn in the rotation and thinks he might have tracked down the cause of the neck problems in his television-viewing habits:
I usually sleep with my head turned that way like when I’m watching TV. So I guess I’ll have to turn it the other way.
I’m now imagining Zambrano snoring away, mouth agape, with the television blaring infomercial banter every night. Poor sleep habits can also lead to crankiness and difficulty managing emotions, not that either of those things would ever apply to Zambrano.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 0
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 1
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 22
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)