Carlos Zambrano on neck injury: “I sleep with my head turned that way when I’m watching TV”

May 27, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT

carlos-zambrano-cubs AP

Carlos Zambrano tossed six innings of two-run ball against the Mets yesterday, improving to 5-2 with a 4.59 ERA, but pitched through neck pain and afterward went to the hospital for X-rays.

According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago doctors found “that the discomfort was coming from a knot in his neck and is mostly muscular.”

Zambrano is not expected to miss a turn in the rotation and thinks he might have tracked down the cause of the neck problems in his television-viewing habits:

I usually sleep with my head turned that way like when I’m watching TV. So I guess I’ll have to turn it the other way.

I’m now imagining Zambrano snoring away, mouth agape, with the television blaring infomercial banter every night. Poor sleep habits can also lead to crankiness and difficulty managing emotions, not that either of those things would ever apply to Zambrano.

1. teke184 - May 27, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I think “arm injury due to playing Guitar Hero” is still the recent leader in “stupid injury tricks”, though Glenalen Hill’s header through a glass coffee while having a nightmare about spiders is probably the gold standard.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 27, 2011 at 1:51 PM

2 words: deer meat

2. Old Gator - May 27, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Zambrano is lucky it’s only his neck that got injured. Most people sustain brain damage from watching television.

3. cup0pizza - May 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I liked when Marty Cordova missed time from a tanning bed mishap or when Ken Griffey Jr. went on the d.l. due to improperly inserting his cup and severely pinching his balls.

4. purdueman - May 27, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I heard that Zambrano strained his neck while rubber-necking an accident on the opposite side of the freeway on his way home the other night!

All the trade deadline news to know