May 27, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
Carlos Zambrano tossed six innings of two-run ball against the Mets yesterday, improving to 5-2 with a 4.59 ERA, but pitched through neck pain and afterward went to the hospital for X-rays.
According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago doctors found “that the discomfort was coming from a knot in his neck and is mostly muscular.”
Zambrano is not expected to miss a turn in the rotation and thinks he might have tracked down the cause of the neck problems in his television-viewing habits:
I usually sleep with my head turned that way like when I’m watching TV. So I guess I’ll have to turn it the other way.
I’m now imagining Zambrano snoring away, mouth agape, with the television blaring infomercial banter every night. Poor sleep habits can also lead to crankiness and difficulty managing emotions, not that either of those things would ever apply to Zambrano.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 39
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)