May 27, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
Carlos Zambrano tossed six innings of two-run ball against the Mets yesterday, improving to 5-2 with a 4.59 ERA, but pitched through neck pain and afterward went to the hospital for X-rays.
According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago doctors found “that the discomfort was coming from a knot in his neck and is mostly muscular.”
Zambrano is not expected to miss a turn in the rotation and thinks he might have tracked down the cause of the neck problems in his television-viewing habits:
I usually sleep with my head turned that way like when I’m watching TV. So I guess I’ll have to turn it the other way.
I’m now imagining Zambrano snoring away, mouth agape, with the television blaring infomercial banter every night. Poor sleep habits can also lead to crankiness and difficulty managing emotions, not that either of those things would ever apply to Zambrano.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)