May 27, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
You know, it’s something I got into more when I stopped playing. I’m a little jealous that I didn’t have this sort of data when I was playing. We just kind of relied on written scouting reports through the eighties and even the early nineties. I’ve really been amazed by some of the data that’s out there, especially with regards to tendencies of hitters, and certainly tendencies of pitchers as well. I would have loved to have gotten that data when I played.
Amazing. A retired player doesn’t brag about his ignorance of statistical analysis. What a brave new world in which we live.
Oh, and he also talks about riding motorcycles with David Wells. Not sure how they got those bikes in Cone’s mom’s basement, but good for them.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)