May 27, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
May 27, 2006
Filling in for an ailing Bartolo Colon, 2004 first-round pick Jered Weaver makes his major league debut for the Angels and shuts out the Orioles for seven innings to earn a win. He allows three hits, walks one and strikes out five in a 10-1 victory.
Weaver went on to open his major league career 4-0 with a 1.37 ERA, but the Angels still chose to send him down when Colon came off the DL on June 18. The alternative would have been to demote his brother, Jeff, who was the team’s weakest starter at the time.
The Angels did make that switch a couple of weeks later, recalling Jered to replace Jeff on July 3. Weaver won three more starts in a row afterwards, opening his career 7-0 with a 1.15 ERA before taking his first no-decision on July 29 against the Red Sox. He was 9-0 through 12 starts before finally losing for the first time, and it was a cheap loss, too, as he gave up just one run over six innings against Boston in a game the Angels dropped 2-1.
Weaver ended his season 11-2 with a 2.56 ERA, but he finished a mere fifth in the ROY balloting in what was a very strong year for AL rookies. Justin Verlander won the award with a 17-9 record, Jonathan Papelbon finished second with his 0.92 ERA and 35 saves and Francisco Liriano came in third place with a 12-3 record and a 2.16 ERA.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 26
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 28
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)