May 27, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
2K Sports offered $1 million to the first person to throw a perfect game on their baseball video game MLB 2K11 and a music teacher from Louisina named Brian Kingrey has claimed the prize.
Kingrey smartly chose Phillies ace and cover boy Roy Halladay as his pitcher and picked the Astros as his weak-hitting opponent, setting Houston down in order after studying the game and working on his strategy for hours at a time.
Kingrey shared his process with Chris Morris of Yahoo! Games:
I’m not really into sports games, but I am into competitive games, so when I heard about this competition, I couldn’t leave it alone. Two weeks before the competition started, my wife forced me to go get the game. She was like “I don’t know why you’re not doing this.”
Roy Halladay has the most control on his pitch in the game. And he has this really mean slider that’s amazing against right-handers. The Astros only have two lefties in their lineup. I’d throw it low and to the right and then they would swing and miss.
Not only does Kingrey have a wife who “forced” him to spend more time playing video games, he has more awareness of the importance of platoon splits than a few big-league managers. And the most amazing thing? Morris writes that Kingrey “threw a perfect game within two hours after just three tries.”
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)