Gamer earns $1 million by throwing a perfect game against the Astros with Roy Halladay

May 27, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT

brian kingrey

2K Sports offered $1 million to the first person to throw a perfect game on their baseball video game MLB 2K11 and a music teacher from Louisina named Brian Kingrey has claimed the prize.

Kingrey smartly chose Phillies ace and cover boy Roy Halladay as his pitcher and picked the Astros as his weak-hitting opponent, setting Houston down in order after studying the game and working on his strategy for hours at a time.

Kingrey shared his process with Chris Morris of Yahoo! Games:

I’m not really into sports games, but I am into competitive games, so when I heard about this competition, I couldn’t leave it alone. Two weeks before the competition started, my wife forced me to go get the game. She was like “I don’t know why you’re not doing this.”

Roy Halladay has the most control on his pitch in the game. And he has this really mean slider that’s amazing against right-handers. The Astros only have two lefties in their lineup. I’d throw it low and to the right and then they would swing and miss.

Not only does Kingrey have a wife who “forced” him to spend more time playing video games, he has more awareness of the importance of platoon splits than a few big-league managers. And the most amazing thing? Morris writes that Kingrey “threw a perfect game within two hours after just three tries.”

1. yankeesfanlen - May 27, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Yeah, but did he try it with AJ Burnett?

• garyfromil - May 27, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Hello, why are we celebrating guys playing video games?? No wonder America is so fat.

• revooc48 - May 28, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Sitting on your a** all day everyday and poor diet choices will cause obesity, but playing a video game every now and than will not.

• nixonotis - May 27, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Who’s celebrating? It was a promotion by 2K meant to get people to buy the game. The President didn’t call the guy, there’s no parade, it’s just an interesting little story posted on a blog. Relax.

2. nps6724 - May 27, 2011 at 11:27 AM

That’s weak. Halladay vs. Houston? Man up. At least the guy who did it last year did it with Kenshin Kawakami. That guy deserved $2 million for that feat.

• spindervish - May 27, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Is that really true? For some reason I thought the guy used Halladay last year as well. Kawakami? That dude either doesn’t know baseball or has huge, huge balls.

• nps6724 - May 27, 2011 at 11:38 AM

It was only the 6th time he had ever played it as well. He lives maybe 20 minutes from me (though I don’t know him).

• rebarratige - May 27, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Really true. Easily Kawakami’s career-best pitching performance, and it was done by an avatar under the control of some guy in Alabama.

• jpeetey - May 27, 2011 at 12:53 PM

rebarratige: Don’t you keep up on your Chunichi Dragons stats? Kawakami threw a no-hitter for them in 2002.

• rebarratige - May 27, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Sorry, I was thinking about his MLB career, as short as it was. Didn’t know he threw a no-hitter in NPB, though I had heard that he was dominant over there – this being the reason that the Braves brought him over. It’s really a shame what’s happened (and been done to him) since then.

• jpeetey - May 27, 2011 at 12:49 PM

To play in the contest mode, you had to play a game that was actually occurring that day. The game came out during spring training and the only game that day was Braves-Mets. You weren’t locked into their starters for that day, though, because the actual matchup was Tommy Hanson vs. Nelson Figueroa. Still doesn’t explain why he used Kawakami, who had to be the lowest-rated starter on the Braves roster over any other Braves pitcher or Johan Santana, who I imagine was the best-ranked starter among those two teams in the game.

3. rebarratige - May 27, 2011 at 11:34 AM

The 2K11 Astros are probably worse than the actual Astros, if that’s possible. I suck at the game, and I was perfect into the sixth inning against them. Wasn’t even using a Halladay-caliber pitcher, either. Can I get 2/3 of a million dollars?

4. halladaysbicepts - May 27, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Yeah, I’m sure he used his knowledge of Sabermetrics to assist him with the perfect game too.

• rebarratige - May 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Really? You’re really doing this?

• drmonkeyarmy - May 27, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Halladaysbicepts often makes good points about sabermetrics but gets shouted down by those who have bought into the propaganda.

• nixonotis - May 27, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Well, that’s a first.

• Alex K - May 27, 2011 at 12:57 PM

How is “sabermetrics are stupid and I hate them” a good point?

• nixonotis - May 27, 2011 at 1:04 PM

The “first” is someone agreeing with halladay.

• nixonotis - May 27, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Just in case someone thinks I’m agreeing with these lunatics.

• drmonkeyarmy - May 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM

So, somebody who doesn’t agree with your point of view is a lunatic? If people want to buy into all these added statistics, that is cool. I am happen to believe that the sample size of an individual players’ season does not lend itself to advanced statistics. There is no way to draw statistical significance based upon a sample size of 500. Maybe you can see trends, but they could be a product of random, unrelated events. Just my belief. Not sure how that makes me a lunatic.

• rebarratige - May 27, 2011 at 5:24 PM

As if to highlight just how little critics of sabermetrics understand sabermetrics, drmonkey has just made an argument that was previously made by Bill James, who has claimed in the past that it takes several seasons worth of information before luck can be ruled out as a statistical factor.

But RAHHHHHHH SABERMETRICS EVIL RAHHHHHHH BILL JAMES ANTICHRIST

5. goforthanddie - May 27, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Score one for adult gamers everywhere :)

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4042)