May 27, 2011, 7:07 PM EDT
Runs? Who needs ‘em? After all, the Giants are in first place now despite having the NL’s worst offense.
Speaking out prior to Friday’s game, Giants GM Brian Sabean said that he hasn’t made any inquiries about finding a replacement for Buster Posey and manager Bruce Bochy stated that the newly recalled Brandon Belt would be a bench player.
From the San Francisco Chronicle’s Hank Schulman comes word the Giants have heard from teams willing to part with a catcher. However, Sabean said that he wants to give Eli Whiteside a chance to take over as a regular for now. He hasn’t inquired about any possible replacements, such as Ivan Rodriguez or Ryan Doumit.
As for Belt, an obvious candidate to provide some sock out of the cleanup spot with Posey absent, Bochy said he’d see some time at first base and in the outfield, but that he’d mostly come off the bench and appear in games as a result of double-switches.
Belt hit .337/.470/.525 with four homers in 31 games after being demoted to Triple-A Fresno. He was teeing off on right-handed pitching, batting .378/.515/.581. It suggests that he’d make a great platoonmate for the right-handed-hitting Pat Burrell in left field.
The Giants, though, have been primarily going with a defense-first alignment and putting Nate Schierholtz in right field, with Cody Ross playing left. It’s worked out OK, since Schierholtz has exceeded expectations by hitting .256/.309/.456. Ross, though, is hitting just .215/.271/.337. In all, Giants outfielders are hitting .254/.331/.391 with a mere 55 RBI in 561 at-bats. That might make it worth sacrificing some defense to get Belt’s bat in there.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (200)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)