May 27, 2011, 7:07 PM EST
Runs? Who needs ‘em? After all, the Giants are in first place now despite having the NL’s worst offense.
Speaking out prior to Friday’s game, Giants GM Brian Sabean said that he hasn’t made any inquiries about finding a replacement for Buster Posey and manager Bruce Bochy stated that the newly recalled Brandon Belt would be a bench player.
From the San Francisco Chronicle’s Hank Schulman comes word the Giants have heard from teams willing to part with a catcher. However, Sabean said that he wants to give Eli Whiteside a chance to take over as a regular for now. He hasn’t inquired about any possible replacements, such as Ivan Rodriguez or Ryan Doumit.
As for Belt, an obvious candidate to provide some sock out of the cleanup spot with Posey absent, Bochy said he’d see some time at first base and in the outfield, but that he’d mostly come off the bench and appear in games as a result of double-switches.
Belt hit .337/.470/.525 with four homers in 31 games after being demoted to Triple-A Fresno. He was teeing off on right-handed pitching, batting .378/.515/.581. It suggests that he’d make a great platoonmate for the right-handed-hitting Pat Burrell in left field.
The Giants, though, have been primarily going with a defense-first alignment and putting Nate Schierholtz in right field, with Cody Ross playing left. It’s worked out OK, since Schierholtz has exceeded expectations by hitting .256/.309/.456. Ross, though, is hitting just .215/.271/.337. In all, Giants outfielders are hitting .254/.331/.391 with a mere 55 RBI in 561 at-bats. That might make it worth sacrificing some defense to get Belt’s bat in there.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)