May 27, 2011, 7:07 PM EDT
Runs? Who needs ’em? After all, the Giants are in first place now despite having the NL’s worst offense.
Speaking out prior to Friday’s game, Giants GM Brian Sabean said that he hasn’t made any inquiries about finding a replacement for Buster Posey and manager Bruce Bochy stated that the newly recalled Brandon Belt would be a bench player.
From the San Francisco Chronicle’s Hank Schulman comes word the Giants have heard from teams willing to part with a catcher. However, Sabean said that he wants to give Eli Whiteside a chance to take over as a regular for now. He hasn’t inquired about any possible replacements, such as Ivan Rodriguez or Ryan Doumit.
As for Belt, an obvious candidate to provide some sock out of the cleanup spot with Posey absent, Bochy said he’d see some time at first base and in the outfield, but that he’d mostly come off the bench and appear in games as a result of double-switches.
Belt hit .337/.470/.525 with four homers in 31 games after being demoted to Triple-A Fresno. He was teeing off on right-handed pitching, batting .378/.515/.581. It suggests that he’d make a great platoonmate for the right-handed-hitting Pat Burrell in left field.
The Giants, though, have been primarily going with a defense-first alignment and putting Nate Schierholtz in right field, with Cody Ross playing left. It’s worked out OK, since Schierholtz has exceeded expectations by hitting .256/.309/.456. Ross, though, is hitting just .215/.271/.337. In all, Giants outfielders are hitting .254/.331/.391 with a mere 55 RBI in 561 at-bats. That might make it worth sacrificing some defense to get Belt’s bat in there.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 56
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)