May 27, 2011, 9:35 AM EDT
Commissioner Selig, Hank Aaron, scads of current and former Twins players and thousands of fans turned out at Target Field yesterday for a memorial service for Harmon Killebrew. The details of the service can be read here.
And at the risk of creating isolated dust storms in the vicinity of your computer, I embed for you below Mudcat Grant’s rendition of “What a Wonderful World” with Tony Oliva’s son accompanying him on guitar. Which if you simply described to me as taking place at the service I would be tempted to say “that’s nice” but which, when watching, is pretty moving.
I’m not made of stone here people.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 0
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 43
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 22
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 111
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (111)