May 27, 2011, 8:24 AM EDT
I missed a lot of the late afternoon and evening stories yesterday because I had to take my son to soccer. Can I tell you how miserable soccer has been this spring? Tons of cancellations, but they don’t cancel until you’ve already got the boy into his shin guards and cleats and taken him out to the soccer fields, so you’ve already disrupted your day. And when we have played, it’s been a muddy mess of awfulness. Even the boy — who likes soccer — is ready for it to be over. And of course, after we got to the field last night they canceled it due to lightning and stuff.
So I took the kids to Steak ‘n Shake for dinner. That trip was worth it, though, if for no other reason than I encountered Steak ‘n Shake’s new special burger. Hmmm, I wonder who they’re trying to rip off with that? Note to Steak ‘n Shake: the palm tree logo may be a bridge too far. But hey, in the interests of science I ordered it. The verdict: still tasty, but really not much at all like an In-n-Out Burger Double-Double. I have much love in my heart for you Steak ‘n Shake, but please, stick to what you know. Anyway:
- Miguel Cairo: cleanup hitter.
- Derek Lowe’s DUI charges were dropped. This is probably worth remembering if and when the MLBPA and MLB try to work on enhanced penalties for bad off-field behavior. Personally, I have no problem waiting for the legal process to play out to some degree to see if there’s any there there before a baseball-imposed penalty comes down.
- Carl Crawford is en fuego.
- The Cubs and Braves made a trade.
- The Royals and Rockies did too.
- An update on Buster Posey’s conditon.
- Brett Favre? Sure, Brett Favre ; and finally
- Aroldis Chapman is not doing any better in AAA than he did in the majors.
One more soccer game this spring. Next Thursday. I can’t decide if I should just pray for more rain now and get it over with or if I should actually hope it happens.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)