May 27, 2011, 8:24 AM EST
I missed a lot of the late afternoon and evening stories yesterday because I had to take my son to soccer. Can I tell you how miserable soccer has been this spring? Tons of cancellations, but they don’t cancel until you’ve already got the boy into his shin guards and cleats and taken him out to the soccer fields, so you’ve already disrupted your day. And when we have played, it’s been a muddy mess of awfulness. Even the boy — who likes soccer — is ready for it to be over. And of course, after we got to the field last night they canceled it due to lightning and stuff.
So I took the kids to Steak ‘n Shake for dinner. That trip was worth it, though, if for no other reason than I encountered Steak ‘n Shake’s new special burger. Hmmm, I wonder who they’re trying to rip off with that? Note to Steak ‘n Shake: the palm tree logo may be a bridge too far. But hey, in the interests of science I ordered it. The verdict: still tasty, but really not much at all like an In-n-Out Burger Double-Double. I have much love in my heart for you Steak ‘n Shake, but please, stick to what you know. Anyway:
- Miguel Cairo: cleanup hitter.
- Derek Lowe’s DUI charges were dropped. This is probably worth remembering if and when the MLBPA and MLB try to work on enhanced penalties for bad off-field behavior. Personally, I have no problem waiting for the legal process to play out to some degree to see if there’s any there there before a baseball-imposed penalty comes down.
- Carl Crawford is en fuego.
- The Cubs and Braves made a trade.
- The Royals and Rockies did too.
- An update on Buster Posey’s conditon.
- Brett Favre? Sure, Brett Favre ; and finally
- Aroldis Chapman is not doing any better in AAA than he did in the majors.
One more soccer game this spring. Next Thursday. I can’t decide if I should just pray for more rain now and get it over with or if I should actually hope it happens.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)