HBT Breakfast Wrap

May 27, 2011, 8:24 AM EDT

hangover breakfast

I missed a lot of the late afternoon and evening stories yesterday because I had to take my son to soccer.  Can I tell you how miserable soccer has been this spring? Tons of cancellations, but they don’t cancel until you’ve already got the boy into his shin guards and cleats and taken him out to the soccer fields, so you’ve already disrupted your day. And when we have played, it’s been a muddy mess of awfulness. Even the boy — who likes soccer — is ready for it to be over.  And of course, after we got to the field last night they canceled it due to lightning and stuff.

So I took the kids to Steak ‘n Shake for dinner. That trip was worth it, though, if for no other reason than I encountered Steak ‘n Shake’s new special burger.  Hmmm, I wonder who they’re trying to rip off with that?  Note to Steak ‘n Shake: the palm tree logo may be a bridge too far.  But hey, in the interests of science I ordered it.  The verdict: still tasty, but really not much at all like an In-n-Out Burger Double-Double.  I have much love in my heart for you Steak ‘n Shake, but please, stick to what you know.  Anyway:

One more soccer game this spring. Next Thursday.  I can’t decide if I should just pray for more rain now and get it over with or if I should actually hope it happens.

1. Jonny 5 - May 27, 2011 at 8:47 AM

So no soccer playoffs? They usually have a weekend playoff series in my town where the teams all play each other, last team standing type of thing. The kids loved it. My son pitched in his team’s last game the other day, giving up 2 runs while running up to his maximum on pitches thrown (they limit it). They were able to pull out a first place finish with that win, so they get to sit out the first round of the playoffs which is cool too because these are one game deals. Crazy fun watching these kids play, just awesome..

• Old Gator - May 27, 2011 at 9:08 AM

I can live without any backandforthandbackandforthandbackandforthball playoffs. I really enjoy the fan riots much more than the game – especially the way three thousand marinated slavering Italians or Argentines can collapse a hurricane fence en route to the three thousand marinated slavering Germans or Brazilians who are busy collapsing the hurricane fence on the other side of the field. From the air, it reminds me of two army ant marches colliding head on in an open field. As for the game itself, it sucks.

Craig, that there is a full Irish breakfast. Each little wafer of black or white pudding has as much lethality packed into it as a party spread of ten-foot horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches sliced into four inch segments. Irish food (“cuisine” just doesn’t work here) consists largely of ligaments, tendons, joint capsules, gristle, epithelium, sheep larynxes, pig esophogai, assorted artiodactylate stomach linings and small white glands whose functions are not yet fully understood, all boiled for weeks to make them amenable to the cleaver and then mixed with lard so that it can be compressed into basic geometric shapes – then fried in bacon fat and washed down with copious amounts of Guiness straight from the spring, still tasting somewhat of peat. Best of luck to you.

• Jonny 5 - May 27, 2011 at 9:20 AM

I see your point. Adult soccer is a horrible and boring sport. I don’t understand how they can draw soooo many fans that are soooo obviously lacking mental capacity. I mean really, a few hours of back and forth and the score is still tied 0-0? But one game playoffs with a bunch of snot nosed mini people prone to tantrums and nose picking during plays they are directly involved in, added to the insanity of some of the parents who attempt to live through their children and scream like a lunatic at their kids, who in turn are obviously embarrassed because their parents are such a-wipes, makes it 20 times more exciting than any pro soccer game ever could be. No wonder the fans riot come to think of it..

• Utley's Hair - May 27, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Guinness is a breakfast in itself.

• Utley's Hair - May 27, 2011 at 10:59 AM

And soccer kicks grass. It’s my second favorite spectator—as if I really need to stipulate that—sport.

• Jonny 5 - May 27, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I don’t know how you do it honestly. I’ve tried to watch it, I really did. College softball is 10 times more entertaining imo. But hey, it’s probably me, because in most other countries “football” is by far the largest drawing sport.

• Utley's Hair - May 27, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I’ve always loved watching the game. But I don’t really follow it, per se. I just love watching the actual game itself. It’s all about strategy, team thinking and endurance. Honestly, I could do without all the diving, but aside from that, it is truly the Beautiful Game. GO UNION!!!

• Utley's Hair - May 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Besides, if I watch a Phightins or a Union game, there’s a Carlos Ruiz to cheer on.

2. takemytalentstosoutheuclid - May 27, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Craig- same story up here with my 2 kids and their softball games so far this spring. Lots of rainouts, but after you get to the park of course. Strangely, we did the Steak n Shake thing last night as well and I tried their other new “original” burger, which looks suspiciously like one of the signature items at Red Robin.

3. Jonny 5 - May 27, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Oh, and BTW That just looks like an upside down 5 guys burger, which is linked below.

Ok, your steak n’ shake burgers suck, and our 5 guys burgers rule, that all I can say, I’m sorry. Oh and they cut the potatoes in front of you for the fries, and feed you free salted peanuts while you wait. mmmmmmm……

• genericcommenter - May 27, 2011 at 9:34 AM

When I go to five guys they usually have a bunch of potatoes sitting in the baskets already. I think they are decent ( for a chain) to pretty good, but I’m probably burnt out on them.

The fries aren’t the best but are way better than most chains. I read in an article that the owner was inspired by a french fries place from my hometown.

I don’t understand how anyone can eat fries from Steak n Shake or similar places. I have to get onion rings there. That type of fry is just completely void of taste and weird.

4. genericcommenter - May 27, 2011 at 9:28 AM

I like Steak n Shake’s breakfast better than their burgers ( and that breakfast picture).

5. dink53 - May 27, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Ummm, the full Irish. Good call.

6. thenoblebard93 - May 27, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Vegetarian Alert! :P

• Utley's Hair - May 27, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I’m sorry for your loss. :)

7. marshmallowsnake - May 27, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Craig – I have to ask…these pics that you post for the breakfast wrap-up…is that what you had for breakfast that day?

• Craig Calcaterra - May 27, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Nope. But with this pic, man, I wish I had it for breakfast today.

• marshmallowsnake - May 27, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Yeah…I agree with you on that.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3452)