May 27, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Matthew examined the Giants’ various options to replace Buster Posey behind the plate, noting that bringing back Bengie Molina was an iffy proposition because the hefty 36-year-old “didn’t seem to have a whole left last year” and was “awfully immobile behind the plate.”
Molina, as you might expect, is very much open to the idea of a reunion, telling Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News “heck yeah” when asked if he’d be ready to play for the Giants again.
However, as Baggarly notes “he’d probably need a few weeks in the minors first to get in game shape” and “has not received a call from the Giants and he’s not expecting one because he perceives hard feelings from the front office at how his tenure ended.”
Eli Whiteside is no one’s idea of a starting catcher, but his .229 batting average and .644 OPS in 129 career games is basically identical to Molina hitting .249 with a .623 OPS in 118 games for the Giants and Rangers last season.
From the Giants’ point of view, Molina probably isn’t worth the hassle.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)