May 27, 2011, 6:09 PM EST
14 homers, 56 RBI.
Those are Anthony Rizzo’s totals in 44 games for Triple-A Tucson so far.
And they’re totals Brad Hawpe may struggle to match if he spends the entire season as the Padres’ first baseman.
Rizzo actually has slowed down a bit of late. He’s hit a mere .329/.415/.671 in May after dominating Triple-A pitching to the tune of a .400/.471/.744 line in April.
But even Rizzo’s bad splits are terrific. He’s doing his best work at home in Kino Stadium, but he’s still hitting .340/.411/.660 in road games. Of course the left-handed hitter is tearing up right-handers, but he’s hitting a fine .333/.364/.500 in 30 at-bats against southpaws.
And with 56 RBI in just 169 at-bats, it’s obvious he’s saving his biggest hits for when it matters. 11 of his homers have come with men on base. He’s hitting .410/.474/.860 with runners on and .458/.521/.949 with RISP.
The Padres, meanwhile, have gotten a .224/.270/.367 line with six homers and 22 RBI in 196 at-bats from their first basemen. Hawpe is on pace for 13 homers and 42 RBI at the moment.
To be fair, Hawpe is getting the job done at the moment. He’s actually been very good this month. But with Eric Hosmer having graduated, Rizzo has taken over as the game’s best first base prospect and he’s moved up his timetable in a big way with his huge start. If Hawpe goes into another slump, it’s going to be very difficult for the Padres to resist the lure of calling him up.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 300
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (302)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)