May 27, 2011, 8:41 PM EDT
The last-place Nationals dropped their fifth consecutive game on Wednesday against the Brewers, which caused Jayson Werth to proclaim that “things need to change.”
His quotes didn’t sound all that out of the ordinary for a team that’s regularly losing baseball games, but many speculated that Werth was directing his frustration towards Nationals manager Jim Riggleman.
Well, Riggleman had a chance to clear the air with the high-priced outfielder earlier this morning. According to Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington, Werth assured him that the comments weren’t directed towards him specifically.
“I guess the short answer is no.”
“The long answer is, you know … ‘changes.’ We’ve got to start winning ballgames,” Riggleman continued. “The losing that has taken place here for a couple years, that’s got to change. We’ve got to change some things with how we play.”
It’s difficult to change things when the Nationals just don’t have the personnel to make it happen. Ryan Zimmerman has only played eight games this season and Adam LaRoche has basically been a shell of himself because of tears in his labrum and rotator cuff, so Werth hasn’t had any real proven protection around him. The Nationals entered play tonight with a .229 team batting average, second-worst in the majors behind the Padres.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)