May 27, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Back in December the Mariners were expected to non-tender Jose Lopez rather than risk giving him a raise on last year’s $3 million salary via arbitration following a season in which he hit just .239 with a ghastly .279 on-base percentage and .609 OPS.
Instead the Rockies stepped in at the last minute and traded minor-league pitcher Chaz Roe to the Mariners for Lopez, tendering him a contract and eventually settling on a $3.6 million salary for 2011.
Lopez has been even worse in Colorado, hitting just .208 with a .233 on-base percentage and .521 OPS through 38 games, and now the Rockies have designated him for assignment.
Because he’s still owed about $2.5 million Lopez is highly unlikely to be claimed off waivers, which means the Rockies will likely stash him at Triple-A or eat most of that salary to facilitate a trade. He was an All-Star at age 22, but Lopez now looks washed up at age 27.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (271)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)