May 27, 2011, 8:20 PM EDT
The most famous of the trio, former White Sox center fielder Brian Anderson, got let go by the Yankees today. Anderson, who had been on the DL since May 2, was released despite opening the year with a 1.17 ERA and a 9/1 K/BB ratio in 7 2/3 innings for Double-A Trenton.
One figures he’ll be picked back up once healthy
The Red Sox earlier ths week released Ryan Harvey, who was drafted with the sixth overall pick in 2003 by the Cubs (nine spots ahead of Anderson). He made the switch from the outfield to the mound with the Rockies last year, but he never actually got into a game. The Red Sox had kept him at extended spring training since the beginning of the year.
Last, and probably least, is 28-year-old left-hander Miguel Negron, who was let go by the White Sox. The one-time Blue Jays prospect had a 6.27 ERA and a 6/7 K/BB ratio in 8 2/3 innings for low Single-A Kannapolis. He was a first-round pick way back in 2000.
Apparently, the moral of the story is that only infielders and catchers make good pitchers.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (251)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)