May 27, 2011, 1:05 PM EST
Pete Rose was on 97.5 in Philly yesterday and was asked if he suspects that he’ll be inducted into the Hall of Fame after he’s dead. His response:
“Well I think that would probably to be honest with you piss a lot of people off if that’s the way it was. I mean it’s just reminds me of this year. Okay all of a sudden Detroit is a retiring Sparky’s [Anderson] number. Well Sparky died several months ago. He was retired for 18 or 19 years. Why don’t you do it while he is around, so he can enjoy it? Those are the kind of things that drive you crazy.”
He mentioned Ron Santo in this regard too. And as far as Anderson and Santo go, he has a great point.
Big difference here, though: everyone loved Sparky Anderson and Ron Santo while most people think Pete Rose is somewhere between an untrustworthy jackwagon and a flaming horse’s arse. So there’s that.
And before you all go crazy on me, allow me to reiterate: I think Pete Rose should be banned from working in baseball, but I do think he should be in the Hall of Fame. Partially because his playing career was extraordinary and the Hall of Fame should honor such accomplishments without reference to moral or ethical considerations and partially because inducting him now would pretty much any need for anyone to interview him about anything ever again.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)