May 27, 2011, 1:05 PM EDT
Pete Rose was on 97.5 in Philly yesterday and was asked if he suspects that he’ll be inducted into the Hall of Fame after he’s dead. His response:
“Well I think that would probably to be honest with you piss a lot of people off if that’s the way it was. I mean it’s just reminds me of this year. Okay all of a sudden Detroit is a retiring Sparky’s [Anderson] number. Well Sparky died several months ago. He was retired for 18 or 19 years. Why don’t you do it while he is around, so he can enjoy it? Those are the kind of things that drive you crazy.”
He mentioned Ron Santo in this regard too. And as far as Anderson and Santo go, he has a great point.
Big difference here, though: everyone loved Sparky Anderson and Ron Santo while most people think Pete Rose is somewhere between an untrustworthy jackwagon and a flaming horse’s arse. So there’s that.
And before you all go crazy on me, allow me to reiterate: I think Pete Rose should be banned from working in baseball, but I do think he should be in the Hall of Fame. Partially because his playing career was extraordinary and the Hall of Fame should honor such accomplishments without reference to moral or ethical considerations and partially because inducting him now would pretty much any need for anyone to interview him about anything ever again.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 53
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 31
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)