May 27, 2011, 1:05 PM EDT
Pete Rose was on 97.5 in Philly yesterday and was asked if he suspects that he’ll be inducted into the Hall of Fame after he’s dead. His response:
“Well I think that would probably to be honest with you piss a lot of people off if that’s the way it was. I mean it’s just reminds me of this year. Okay all of a sudden Detroit is a retiring Sparky’s [Anderson] number. Well Sparky died several months ago. He was retired for 18 or 19 years. Why don’t you do it while he is around, so he can enjoy it? Those are the kind of things that drive you crazy.”
He mentioned Ron Santo in this regard too. And as far as Anderson and Santo go, he has a great point.
Big difference here, though: everyone loved Sparky Anderson and Ron Santo while most people think Pete Rose is somewhere between an untrustworthy jackwagon and a flaming horse’s arse. So there’s that.
And before you all go crazy on me, allow me to reiterate: I think Pete Rose should be banned from working in baseball, but I do think he should be in the Hall of Fame. Partially because his playing career was extraordinary and the Hall of Fame should honor such accomplishments without reference to moral or ethical considerations and partially because inducting him now would pretty much any need for anyone to interview him about anything ever again.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 24
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 53
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 133
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (133)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)