May 27, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
According to Bill Ladson of MLB.com the Rangers “have inquired about” Nationals right-hander Todd Coffey as they search for bullpen help with Darren O’Day possibly out for the season and Alexi Ogando all but locked into the rotation.
Coffey was a nice low-cost pickup for the Nationals, signing a one-year, $1.35 million deal after the Brewers let him go despite posting a 3.52 ERA and 128/46 K/BB ratio in 153 innings during the past three seasons.
Coffey has been even more effective early on this year, throwing 19 innings with a 1.89 ERA and 19/6 K/BB ratio, and if the last-place Nationals can turn a $1.35 million investment in a 30-year-old reliever into a decent prospect they should jump at the chance.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 15
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)