May 27, 2011, 6:20 PM EST
In some very distressing news, doctors from Duke University are “90 percent certain” that the tumors on Gary Carter’s brain are malignant.
The New York Daily News reports that an official diagnosis is expected next week after Carter underwent tests today.
Examined after dealing with headaches and forgetfulness of late, Carter was found to have four small brain tumors on May 21.
If the tumors are proven to be malignant, the 57-year-old Carter is expected to begin undergoing chemotherapy immediately.
“It was very hard for all of us to hear, as we have been hoping and praying that the tumors would be benign,” one of Carter’s daughters wrote on the family website. “Lots of tears have been shed in the hospital room today, and we are all a bit scared of the unknown.”
Carter, a Hall of Fame catcher who played for the Expos, Mets, Giants and Dodgers in 19 big-league seasons, retired in 1992.
“(The doctor) wants us all to team up and help Dad through the battle ahead,” Carter’s daughter wrote. “He said that this IS treatable and they will attack it with the same kind of vigor that Dad displayed on the baseball diamond!”
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)