Report: Gary Carter’s brain tumors likely malignant

May 27, 2011, 6:20 PM EST

Gary Carter AP AP

In some very distressing news, doctors from Duke University are “90 percent certain” that the tumors on Gary Carter’s brain are malignant.

The New York Daily News reports that an official diagnosis is expected next week after Carter underwent tests today.

Examined after dealing with headaches and forgetfulness of late, Carter was found to have four small brain tumors on May 21.

If the tumors are proven to be malignant, the 57-year-old Carter is expected to begin undergoing chemotherapy immediately.

“It was very hard for all of us to hear, as we have been hoping and praying that  the tumors would be benign,” one of Carter’s daughters wrote on the family website.  “Lots of tears have been shed in the hospital room today, and we are all a bit scared of the unknown.”

Carter, a Hall of Fame catcher who played for the Expos, Mets, Giants and Dodgers in 19 big-league seasons, retired in 1992.

“(The doctor) wants us all to team up and help Dad through the battle ahead,”  Carter’s daughter wrote. “He said that this IS treatable and they will attack it with the same kind of vigor that Dad displayed on the baseball diamond!”

1. cur68 - May 27, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Oh crap. I’m real sorry to see this. There’s still hope, right? This could all work out for him. I sure hope so. Good luck Gary Carter; you were the best catcher the Expos ever had.

• Old Gator - May 28, 2011 at 12:33 AM

That’s rotten news. Hang in there, Kid. We’re all pulling for you.

• indaburg - May 28, 2011 at 2:00 AM

This breaks my heart. Malignant brain tumors, glioblastomas, are very aggressive and difficult to treat. Yet there is always hope. If he is at Duke, he’s with the best our country has to offer for brain tumor at the Robert Preston Tisch Brain Tumor Center. I’m sure it is the good Dr. Friedman who is treating him, the same doctor who treated Tug McGraw and Sen. Kennedy. Here is a short interview he did on CNN: http://youtu.be/n1Z8yMxSf5E about brain tumors and even though they are so difficult to treat, he explains why there is also hope as well. As a side note, since this is a baseball blog, Dr. Friedman is a huge Mets fan too.

I know exactly how Carter’s family feels. We’re trying to get my dad up to Duke as well for treatment.

• cur68 - May 28, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Good luck there ‘burg. I have a family friend who’s breast cancer has just last week been found to have metastasized into her brain. Starts gamma knife radiation this week. This stuff is no picnic. I hope your dad pulls through.

2. nixonotis - May 27, 2011 at 6:33 PM

A real shame. Just shows you how fleeting life can be, no matter who you are. Good luck, Gary, you were a bit before my time, but you clearly touched a lot of people’s lives.

3. Utley's Hair - May 27, 2011 at 6:40 PM

That really sucks. Hopefully modern medicine is enough to knock them out. Positive thoughts and prayers go out from this Phightins Phan to the former Mutts and Expos catcher. I hope he pulls through.

4. pjmarn6 - May 27, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Block the plate Gary!

• nixonotis - May 27, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Pretty sure he wouldn’t be down with any rule changes.

5. cup0pizza - May 27, 2011 at 7:45 PM

He was a Dodger too, utleyshair. Learn baseball.

• paperlions - May 27, 2011 at 8:17 PM

He had 280 ABs as a Dodger when he was 37, nobody cares. To EVERYONE, he was an Expo and a Met….but especially to fans of the old NL East.

6. aceshigh11 - May 27, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Awful, awful news. I grew up a Mets fan as a kid of the ’80s, and Carter was one of my favorites.

Hoping that the Kid pulls through this.

7. missthemexpos - May 27, 2011 at 10:23 PM

The doctors seem to have a game plan, good luck Gary. Fans from both the U.S.A. and Canada are pulling for you.

8. king3319 - May 28, 2011 at 1:54 AM

One of the true old school gentlemen of the game. Played hard and has lead a damn good life, here’s to hoping and praying he comes thru this!!!! My prayers are with you and your family Mr. Carter!!!

9. king3319 - May 28, 2011 at 3:41 AM

Indaburg….my prayers are also with your family. I have no clue as to how hard this must be for you and your family. I wish you and your family all my best!!!

• indaburg - May 29, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Thank you, king.

10. coryeuc - May 28, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Never got to see him play, but I grew up around where he retired to. Seemed to show up at every baseball kids camp within 50 miles, always enjoyed talking with kids and signing autographs. This couldn’t have happened to a better, nicer guy.

11. jjpileggi - May 29, 2011 at 8:16 PM

The Kid is the source of some very happy and exciting memories, ranging from his first game as a Met (a game winning home run of Neil Allen), to his post season heroics in 1986. His is a winner, a gamer and has a body full of Heart. Love and prayers to the Carter family.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5145)