May 27, 2011, 6:20 PM EST
In some very distressing news, doctors from Duke University are “90 percent certain” that the tumors on Gary Carter’s brain are malignant.
The New York Daily News reports that an official diagnosis is expected next week after Carter underwent tests today.
Examined after dealing with headaches and forgetfulness of late, Carter was found to have four small brain tumors on May 21.
If the tumors are proven to be malignant, the 57-year-old Carter is expected to begin undergoing chemotherapy immediately.
“It was very hard for all of us to hear, as we have been hoping and praying that the tumors would be benign,” one of Carter’s daughters wrote on the family website. “Lots of tears have been shed in the hospital room today, and we are all a bit scared of the unknown.”
Carter, a Hall of Fame catcher who played for the Expos, Mets, Giants and Dodgers in 19 big-league seasons, retired in 1992.
“(The doctor) wants us all to team up and help Dad through the battle ahead,” Carter’s daughter wrote. “He said that this IS treatable and they will attack it with the same kind of vigor that Dad displayed on the baseball diamond!”
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)