May 27, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
In some very distressing news, doctors from Duke University are “90 percent certain” that the tumors on Gary Carter’s brain are malignant.
The New York Daily News reports that an official diagnosis is expected next week after Carter underwent tests today.
Examined after dealing with headaches and forgetfulness of late, Carter was found to have four small brain tumors on May 21.
If the tumors are proven to be malignant, the 57-year-old Carter is expected to begin undergoing chemotherapy immediately.
“It was very hard for all of us to hear, as we have been hoping and praying that the tumors would be benign,” one of Carter’s daughters wrote on the family website. “Lots of tears have been shed in the hospital room today, and we are all a bit scared of the unknown.”
Carter, a Hall of Fame catcher who played for the Expos, Mets, Giants and Dodgers in 19 big-league seasons, retired in 1992.
“(The doctor) wants us all to team up and help Dad through the battle ahead,” Carter’s daughter wrote. “He said that this IS treatable and they will attack it with the same kind of vigor that Dad displayed on the baseball diamond!”
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 3
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 17
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 213
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (217)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)