The Rangers give Ron Washington a 26 year-old GM product as a thank you

May 27, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

1985 Cadillac

I kid the GM people!  It’s just that I lived in Flint, Michigan for the first 11 years of my life and was surrounded by people — and continue to be in contact with many of them — who act as if General Motors didn’t make some pretty awful cars in the 1980s. And not just that, they treated you (i.e. my old man) like he had committed treason for buying a 1980 Toyota Supra back in the day.  As if he were trying to betray the auto industry. Pshaw! It’s just that he was entering his midlife crisis years, needed a peppy little sports car and couldn’t afford a Corvette thanks to the UAW blowing up the cost structure with their cushy, industry-killing demands!

Wait, I may have lost the thread there.  Never mind. The point here is that Ron Washington had a customized 1985 Cadillac Eldorado that he loved more than life itself which he lost in Hurricane Katrina. As a gesture of gratitude for the 2010 pennant, the Rangers tracked down one just like it, had it customized and presented it to Washington as a gift, and he is over-the-moon happy about it. Which is beyond cool.

Don’t laugh at Washington for loving that car. We all have irrational loves when it comes to vehicles. The car that I loved the most in my life was my 1987 Chevy Cavalier RS. Midnight blue. Got it before my senior year of high school and kept it through college. Despite it, you know, being a 1987 Chevy Cavalier RS, it ran like a top. And I didn’t care if the paint faded the hell off it in no time, a phenomenon with which anyone who owned a blue 1980s Chevy product is intimately familiar. It was my car, man. I loved that car. If they all hadn’t rusted out years ago, I’d buy another one in a second.

And no, that has nothing to do with the fact that I am the same age my dad was around the time he bought that 1980 Supra.  No midlife crisis here, no-siree, nope!

1. nixonotis - May 27, 2011 at 2:02 PM

1994 Ford Taurus, here. It was the most hideous shade of red. Boy, I miss that car.

• simondanielj - May 27, 2011 at 2:08 PM

God I hope it was an SHO…

• nixonotis - May 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Haha, nope. But it DID have a sunroof!

• Alex K - May 27, 2011 at 2:42 PM

My Mom drove a Forest Green 1994 Taurus.

• nixonotis - May 27, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Did they make the 1994 Taurus in any colors that weren’t grotesque?

• Alex K - May 27, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Nope.

2. deathmonkey41 - May 27, 2011 at 2:08 PM

1995 Ford Thunderbird. The clip on right side of the driver’s seat was broken, so it leaned back in a perpetual guido seat- which was awesome- even though I was a metalhead. By the time I got my second car, I wanted to break the clip in that one because I couldn’t drive sitting straight up- took me a long time to get used to it, but I still miss my old girl, which came to me with 100K on the odometer. I hope she rests in peace now.

• deathmonkey41 - May 27, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Scratch that- I meant a 1985 Thunderbird.

3. Jonny 5 - May 27, 2011 at 2:10 PM

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 27, 2011 at 2:15 PM

win

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 27, 2011 at 2:16 PM

1986 Ford Escort, four-door hatchback was my first beast. It ate a telephone pole. So cliche. My favorite to this day is car number 3, my 1995 Subaru Legacy sedan. Could. Not. Be. Stopped. By. Anything.

5. halladaysbicepts - May 27, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I can imagine Ron Washington driving that car around pimping and attempting to score an 8-ball.

• spudchukar - May 27, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Dude, can’t you go one day without being an ass.

• nixonotis - May 27, 2011 at 2:29 PM

One day? He hasn’t gone one post.

• halladaysbicepts - May 27, 2011 at 2:34 PM

It’s called a joke. Ron embarrased himself and his team last year with his cocaine issue. He apologized to the organization and his team and moved on.

That does not mean that you cannot still have some levity with past transgressions. Looking at the picture of the car and Mr. Washington’s troubles last year, it seemed like a good correlation to make.

If it was a picture of Fat Joe Blanton eating some food at a restaurant, I’m sure I would have come up with something along the same lines. Lighten up.

• nixonotis - May 27, 2011 at 2:39 PM

You haven’t exactly endeared yourself to the crowd around here, I don’t think you’re going to get much slack.

• ezwriter69 - May 27, 2011 at 4:21 PM

The dude names himself after another man’s body parts, and misspells that… experience has taught me that there is nothing ever gained by arguing with twelve year-olds or idiots, and this is apparently both of the above. With any luck maybe the big confederate flag on his 1987 Chevy pick-up truck will wrap around his cracked windshield like the guy on the insurance commercial…

6. Jonny 5 - May 27, 2011 at 2:21 PM

I had a Chevy Nova I used to just mash on constantly. I had no problem throwing it into reverse at 60 mph, or worse……. it died an untimely death and I sold it, hopping right into some old lady owned 1970 LTD 4 dr hardtop. That car was surprisingly fast. And all of my friends could fit plus you could store 4 kegs in the trunk if you wanted too. Mafia style man, we was bad.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 27, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Four kegs, you say? That’s impressive. I assume the back-end would be kissing pavement w/ that kind of weight.

• Jonny 5 - May 27, 2011 at 2:43 PM

No, it clearly said in the owners manual it could safely fit 4 kegs of beer or half a mafia crime family.

Actually, the trunk was so big you could more likely put 4 kegs and 6 cases of beer, with enough room to pack it with ice. No BS. But yeah the thing would be dragging ass if that was the case. I loved the car so much i shelled out like 450$ to replace a window that got broken because they weren’t made anymore.

7. scatterbrian - May 27, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Do we have to limit our irrational loves to vehicles?

• nixonotis - May 27, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Oh man, I’m sure we could go all day if we started getting into sweatshirts, t-shirts, etc.

• Jonny 5 - May 27, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Boxer shorts

• cur68 - May 27, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Border collies

8. bklynbaseball - May 27, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Dude, my all-time favorite car was a 1971 gray Volvo 145 station wagon, 4-on-the-floor. College days, 1982 and ’83. Could actually fit a full-sized keg in the back in the back standing up! (untapped, of course!) Party-mobile! That car was an absolute tank. Drove it until the engine (literally!) fell out. Loved that damn car, even after the paper gas filter disintegrated on I-84 between Hartford and the Mass Pike on a Sunday evening in January and I was stranded for about 5 hours alone on the side of the road while the temperature dropped through the 30s as the sun went down. My teeth start chattering just thinking about that night! Ahh, college memories…….

9. solidzac - May 27, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Here in New York, there are plenty of people who don’t own cards, and I myself have actually never owned a single one. Sometimes I wonder if I didn’t miss out on something.

10. Alex K - May 27, 2011 at 2:45 PM

1985 Honda Prelude. If I ever run into a great sum of money you can bet your bippy I’m finding one and restoring it.

11. wildinkc - May 27, 2011 at 2:59 PM

For me it had to be my first car 1985 oldsmobile cutlass siera. Paint chipping off the hood struggled to go 70mph. But I had alot of great memories inside that car;). Good times, yep good times.

12. dkb1968 - May 27, 2011 at 3:02 PM

’77 GMC Sierra pickup, no AC (in Texas!) no power steering and a screwdriver to open the driver side door from inside, Temp adjustment lever broke off in the warm position! That truck would run forever, bought it with 250.000 ion it, sold it with 300,000 for what I paid for it, saw the guy i sold it too, he sold it to a guy with 400,00 and it is still running! Man, I wish I could find that guy and get it back.

13. themanchine - May 27, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I was born in ’81 and miss my ’73 Chevy Caprice Convertible

14. cur68 - May 27, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Oh boy. 1973 Plymouth Duster. Bought it with my paper route money off an old guy who was going blind on my paper route (RIP Mr. Taylor). Baby poop beige with bench seats in the front and back. It was an unmitigated POS but I look back on that car so fondly you’d swear it was a Ferrari.

That was the car I went to senior prom in. The car I took my first real girlfriend ‘parking’ in. The car I lost…well you get the picture. She wasn’t pretty, she wasn’t fast, she wasn’t good on gas but man did she ever get the job done. Not sure if Im still talkin’ bout the car here…

We could get up to 8 people in it; it would sag to the ground but we didn’t care. The trunk was comically large, the engine bay big enough for 2 motors, the wheel base so narrow given the width of the car she looked like an elephant in tight shoes.

I love her still…

• umrguy42 - May 27, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I can’t resist, sorry:

“She wasn’t pretty, she wasn’t fast” … and the car wasn’t that great, either! *rimshot* ;p

Somedays, I miss my parents’ old K car (loved Red Green’s comment on one show: “We like to use K cars due to the combination of price, availability, and a sense of revenge…”)

15. brianmoline - May 27, 2011 at 4:13 PM

My first car was a 1981 Chevy Monte Carlo that was a hand-me-down from my old man. He used it as a work car, then I drove it for four years.

Mine didn’t have the V8…just a V6.

• kinggeorge96 - May 27, 2011 at 6:00 PM

My first car was my first love… 1981 Pontiac Grand LeMans, blue inside and out. The car in this link wasn’t blue, but it still brought a tear to my eye!

And it wasn’t just Chevy products of the 80’s that had paint problems.. it was a GM problem. This car was rusted on the roof and faded everywhere else by the time I got it in 91’… it had already been repainted once because of a recall early on. It was my dad’s car before they sprung for the minivan once my brothers came around. Did plenty of stupid crap in that car, but it was fun in the moment!

Caught on fire in the driveway… that wasn’t a good day….

16. dyhrdpatsfan - May 27, 2011 at 4:32 PM

79′ cutlass supreme here. All burgundy. MINT condition! Ah. Memories …

17. yankeesfanlen - May 27, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Remember when you could get cars with white interiors?
    My first new car- didn’t have the wheels, though, had the hubcap and trim ring fake-out package.

• florida76 - May 27, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Yes, yankeesfanlen, I remember. In fact, my first car had white interiors, the 1975 Oldsmobile Starfire. Horrible purchase on my part, I had just turned 18, and wanted a car in the worst way. For those not familiar with the Starfire, it was a hatchback clone of the Chevy Monza and Pontiac Sunbird from that era.

• yankeesfanlen - May 27, 2011 at 5:44 PM

If you wanted a car in the worst way, you made a very good choice. The engine noise would drown out the static on the radio on those.

18. iftheshoefits2 - May 27, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Galaxy Blue 1985 Chevy S-10 Blazer. Man, I loved that hunk of garbage. The engine shook so badly, it cracked 2 exhaust manifolds.

But when you’re a teenager, you live in your car, and some of my favorite memories of my youth were in that car.

Thanks, Craig, for bringing back some good memories.

All the trade deadline news to know