May 27, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Over the weekend Ozzie Guillen explained that he was going to stick with Adam Dunn as the White Sox’s third-place hitter because “this guy is very important in our lineup” and “the only way he’s going to hit is to play him.”
At that point Dunn had batted third in 20 straight games, but the day after uttering those words Guillen moved him to the fifth spot and now less than a week later the manager has decided to drop Dunn all the way down to the seventh spot.
Here’s what Guillen told Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago:
I want to make sure he relaxes a little bit. It’s not to punish him. Right now he’s a little frustrated. I think we kind of worry about him. You can see him kind of worry about it. After his at-bat he’s very down. But I have to continue to play him.
I hope batting him seventh he will get a break and relax a little bit. Hopefully that works. When he starts swinging the bat better we will move him back to where he’s supposed to be.
Dunn, who signed a four-year, $56 million deal with the White Sox as a free agent after posting an OPS above .850 in seven straight seasons, has gone 0-for-33 versus left-handed pitching and is currently in a 4-for-40 slump overall.
He also leads the league in strikeouts, but that’s nothing new and wouldn’t be an issue if Dunn were producing like he usually does. Instead he’s hitting .186 with five homers and a .660 OPS that’s 235 points below his career norm.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)