May 27, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Over the weekend Ozzie Guillen explained that he was going to stick with Adam Dunn as the White Sox’s third-place hitter because “this guy is very important in our lineup” and “the only way he’s going to hit is to play him.”
At that point Dunn had batted third in 20 straight games, but the day after uttering those words Guillen moved him to the fifth spot and now less than a week later the manager has decided to drop Dunn all the way down to the seventh spot.
Here’s what Guillen told Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago:
I want to make sure he relaxes a little bit. It’s not to punish him. Right now he’s a little frustrated. I think we kind of worry about him. You can see him kind of worry about it. After his at-bat he’s very down. But I have to continue to play him.
I hope batting him seventh he will get a break and relax a little bit. Hopefully that works. When he starts swinging the bat better we will move him back to where he’s supposed to be.
Dunn, who signed a four-year, $56 million deal with the White Sox as a free agent after posting an OPS above .850 in seven straight seasons, has gone 0-for-33 versus left-handed pitching and is currently in a 4-for-40 slump overall.
He also leads the league in strikeouts, but that’s nothing new and wouldn’t be an issue if Dunn were producing like he usually does. Instead he’s hitting .186 with five homers and a .660 OPS that’s 235 points below his career norm.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)