May 28, 2011, 12:05 AM EDT
After blowing a 5-0 lead and losing to the Angels 6-5 on Friday, the Twins had more bad news for their fans, announcing that Francisco Liriano would be scratched from his scheduled start Saturday due to a sore shoulder.
Anthony Swarzak will take his place.
Liriano, who pitched a no-hitter against the White Sox earlier this month, is just 3-5 with a 5.73 ERA this season, though he has turned in quality starts three of his last four times out. Manager Ron Gardenhire said he hopes Liriano will just miss the one start.
Swarzak lost his one start for the Twins this year, giving up five runs in 5 1/3 innings against the Rays last month. He’s 3-9 with a 6.41 ERA lifetime in 13 starts and two relief appearances for Minnesota.
If Liriano lands on the DL, it will be for the first time since Aug. 2009. He missed three weeks then with left arm fatigue. Previously, he sat out the entire 2007 season following Tommy John surgery.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)