May 28, 2011, 12:05 AM EDT
After blowing a 5-0 lead and losing to the Angels 6-5 on Friday, the Twins had more bad news for their fans, announcing that Francisco Liriano would be scratched from his scheduled start Saturday due to a sore shoulder.
Anthony Swarzak will take his place.
Liriano, who pitched a no-hitter against the White Sox earlier this month, is just 3-5 with a 5.73 ERA this season, though he has turned in quality starts three of his last four times out. Manager Ron Gardenhire said he hopes Liriano will just miss the one start.
Swarzak lost his one start for the Twins this year, giving up five runs in 5 1/3 innings against the Rays last month. He’s 3-9 with a 6.41 ERA lifetime in 13 starts and two relief appearances for Minnesota.
If Liriano lands on the DL, it will be for the first time since Aug. 2009. He missed three weeks then with left arm fatigue. Previously, he sat out the entire 2007 season following Tommy John surgery.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)