May 28, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
In yesterday’s post, I also speculated that top prospect right-hander Jordan Lyles could potentially get the call from the minors if Rodriguez required an extended absence and that’s precisely what will happen. Lyles is now scheduled to make his major league debut Tuesday against the Cubs.
Lyles, a supplemental first-round pick in 2008, has a 3.49 ERA over parts of four seasons in the minor leagues, averaging 8.9 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9. The 20-year-old right-hander is 3-3 with a 3.20 ERA over his first 10 starts with Triple-A Oklahoma City this season. While not a hard-thrower, he has a four-pitch arsenal and a plus-changeup. He was ranked as the No. 42 prospect in the game by Baseball America prior to the season.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)