May 28, 2011, 11:01 AM EST
UPDATE: According to Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times, Beckham hopes to play Monday against the Red Sox.
11:01 AM: A disappointing start to the season for Gordon Beckham just got worse.
Beckham was hit just below his left eye on a throw from center fielder Alex Rios in the third inning of last night’s game against the Blue Jays.
Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that Beckham underwent a CT scan and X-rays at a hospital last night, which revealed no fractures.
There’s no immediate timetable for Beckham’s return, but as White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune, the 24-year-old second baseman was fortunate he didn’t suffer a more serious injury.
“It looked like he fought (Manny) Pacquiao,” Guillen said. “He was lucky. It could have been worse.”
Beckham is batting .230/.291/.345 with four home runs and 15 RBI over his first 185 plate appearances this season.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 80
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)