May 28, 2011, 11:01 AM EDT
UPDATE: According to Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times, Beckham hopes to play Monday against the Red Sox.
11:01 AM: A disappointing start to the season for Gordon Beckham just got worse.
Beckham was hit just below his left eye on a throw from center fielder Alex Rios in the third inning of last night’s game against the Blue Jays.
Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that Beckham underwent a CT scan and X-rays at a hospital last night, which revealed no fractures.
There’s no immediate timetable for Beckham’s return, but as White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune, the 24-year-old second baseman was fortunate he didn’t suffer a more serious injury.
“It looked like he fought (Manny) Pacquiao,” Guillen said. “He was lucky. It could have been worse.”
Beckham is batting .230/.291/.345 with four home runs and 15 RBI over his first 185 plate appearances this season.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” ligament 3
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 124
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (124)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)