May 28, 2011, 1:01 PM EDT
Quintero was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained right ankle following a collision with Ryan Roberts at home plate.
Before you ask, no, this wasn’t anything close to the Buster Posey play from Wednesday night. Quintero found himself in a very vulnerable position because he slipped on a bat while waiting for the throw. He was in something of an awkward crouch position, which caused his right ankle to go under his body as soon as Roberts made contact.
Quintero was clearly blocking the plate, so as Roberts told Rowan Kavner of MLB.com, he felt like he had no choice but to barrel into the catcher.
“It was a slow roller and I started running in and he just sat down right in front of the plate,” Roberts said of the play. “I was going to try and go around him, but there was just no way I could have slid around him. You never want to see anyone get hurt in this game, so that wasn’t the point. Again, I’m just trying to score.
“The first thing I thought of was the Buster Posey thing. That’s on everyone’s mind right now so everybody’s talking about it. That’s the first thing I thought about, but like I said, I hope everything is all right and he’ll be back soon. I’m not in this to try to get anybody, just trying to play hard.”
I look forward to not having to talk about this issue anymore, but it’s unfair for us to spend so much time talking about Posey while lesser known players like Quintero are overlooked.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)