May 28, 2011, 8:43 AM EST
Because the previous two stories weren’t enough, here’s more bad news for the Twins.
Nathan, who underwent Tommy John surgery last March, hasn’t pitched since allowing two runs — one earned — on two hits during his last appearance Monday against the Mariners.
“That’s about as tender as I ever felt it,” Nathan said Friday. “I couldn’t really straighten it or bend it. … That was probably as bad, even including when it blew out. The good news is we know it’s not the ligament. It’s just the muscles around it.”
According to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Ron Gardenhire said that if Nathan doesn’t feel well enough to pitch today, the Twins will likely need to make a roster move. Of course, the Twins’ bullpen is already hurting in the worst way. They coughed up a five-run lead last night against the Angels and now Anthony Swarzak will start in place of the injured later today.
Nathan, 36, has a 7.63 ERA and 15/9 K/BB ratio over 15 1/3 innings this season. He has averaged 91.4 mph on his fastball, down from his career average of 93.9 mph.
UPDATE: According to the Associated Press, Nathan has indeed been placed on the disabled list with soreness in his surgically-repaired right elbow. There’s no timetable for his return.
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 10
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 125
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (128)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)