May 28, 2011, 8:43 AM EST
Because the previous two stories weren’t enough, here’s more bad news for the Twins.
Nathan, who underwent Tommy John surgery last March, hasn’t pitched since allowing two runs — one earned — on two hits during his last appearance Monday against the Mariners.
“That’s about as tender as I ever felt it,” Nathan said Friday. “I couldn’t really straighten it or bend it. … That was probably as bad, even including when it blew out. The good news is we know it’s not the ligament. It’s just the muscles around it.”
According to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Ron Gardenhire said that if Nathan doesn’t feel well enough to pitch today, the Twins will likely need to make a roster move. Of course, the Twins’ bullpen is already hurting in the worst way. They coughed up a five-run lead last night against the Angels and now Anthony Swarzak will start in place of the injured later today.
Nathan, 36, has a 7.63 ERA and 15/9 K/BB ratio over 15 1/3 innings this season. He has averaged 91.4 mph on his fastball, down from his career average of 93.9 mph.
UPDATE: According to the Associated Press, Nathan has indeed been placed on the disabled list with soreness in his surgically-repaired right elbow. There’s no timetable for his return.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)