May 28, 2011, 8:43 AM EDT
Because the previous two stories weren’t enough, here’s more bad news for the Twins.
Nathan, who underwent Tommy John surgery last March, hasn’t pitched since allowing two runs — one earned — on two hits during his last appearance Monday against the Mariners.
“That’s about as tender as I ever felt it,” Nathan said Friday. “I couldn’t really straighten it or bend it. … That was probably as bad, even including when it blew out. The good news is we know it’s not the ligament. It’s just the muscles around it.”
According to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Ron Gardenhire said that if Nathan doesn’t feel well enough to pitch today, the Twins will likely need to make a roster move. Of course, the Twins’ bullpen is already hurting in the worst way. They coughed up a five-run lead last night against the Angels and now Anthony Swarzak will start in place of the injured later today.
Nathan, 36, has a 7.63 ERA and 15/9 K/BB ratio over 15 1/3 innings this season. He has averaged 91.4 mph on his fastball, down from his career average of 93.9 mph.
UPDATE: According to the Associated Press, Nathan has indeed been placed on the disabled list with soreness in his surgically-repaired right elbow. There’s no timetable for his return.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 0
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)