May 28, 2011, 8:43 AM EDT
Because the previous two stories weren’t enough, here’s more bad news for the Twins.
Nathan, who underwent Tommy John surgery last March, hasn’t pitched since allowing two runs — one earned — on two hits during his last appearance Monday against the Mariners.
“That’s about as tender as I ever felt it,” Nathan said Friday. “I couldn’t really straighten it or bend it. … That was probably as bad, even including when it blew out. The good news is we know it’s not the ligament. It’s just the muscles around it.”
According to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Ron Gardenhire said that if Nathan doesn’t feel well enough to pitch today, the Twins will likely need to make a roster move. Of course, the Twins’ bullpen is already hurting in the worst way. They coughed up a five-run lead last night against the Angels and now Anthony Swarzak will start in place of the injured later today.
Nathan, 36, has a 7.63 ERA and 15/9 K/BB ratio over 15 1/3 innings this season. He has averaged 91.4 mph on his fastball, down from his career average of 93.9 mph.
UPDATE: According to the Associated Press, Nathan has indeed been placed on the disabled list with soreness in his surgically-repaired right elbow. There’s no timetable for his return.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (188)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)