May 28, 2011, 7:46 PM EDT
The Tigers likely would have been more patient with Scott Sizemore had he possessed a better glove at second base. His track record suggests that he’s going to hit — he’s batting .315/.392/.487 in 170 career games in Triple-A — but his glove at second base has always been shaky and it doesn’t look like that’s going to change.
The A’s highly value defense these days, as evidenced by their decision to spend $6 million to bring back Mark Ellis to play second, so Sizemore may struggle to make inroads at his usual position. The hot corner, though, is ripe for the picking, and Sizemore does have a bit of experience there: he made 11 starts there in Triple-A last year and four more with the Tigers.
Besides, the A’s already have an heir apparent at second base: Jemile Weeks is batting .322/.412/.454 while playing the position exclusively at Triple-A Sacramento this year. They lack a third baseman of the future (though they did give a 16-year-old named Renato Nunez a big bonus last year). Longtime prospect Adrian Cardenas has seen some time there in Triple-A this year, but he’s mostly played the outfield and served as a DH.
Sizemore isn’t necessarily the answer either, but he’s worth a shot with the way that Kevin Kouzmanoff and Andy LaRoche have played this year. I still expect him to turn into a nice .280 hitter with 30-double power. He’ll take over as Sacramento’s third baseman for now, and if he
adjusts well, he could be back in the majors in a couple of weeks.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 6
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 19
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)