May 28, 2011, 7:46 PM EST
The Tigers likely would have been more patient with Scott Sizemore had he possessed a better glove at second base. His track record suggests that he’s going to hit — he’s batting .315/.392/.487 in 170 career games in Triple-A — but his glove at second base has always been shaky and it doesn’t look like that’s going to change.
The A’s highly value defense these days, as evidenced by their decision to spend $6 million to bring back Mark Ellis to play second, so Sizemore may struggle to make inroads at his usual position. The hot corner, though, is ripe for the picking, and Sizemore does have a bit of experience there: he made 11 starts there in Triple-A last year and four more with the Tigers.
Besides, the A’s already have an heir apparent at second base: Jemile Weeks is batting .322/.412/.454 while playing the position exclusively at Triple-A Sacramento this year. They lack a third baseman of the future (though they did give a 16-year-old named Renato Nunez a big bonus last year). Longtime prospect Adrian Cardenas has seen some time there in Triple-A this year, but he’s mostly played the outfield and served as a DH.
Sizemore isn’t necessarily the answer either, but he’s worth a shot with the way that Kevin Kouzmanoff and Andy LaRoche have played this year. I still expect him to turn into a nice .280 hitter with 30-double power. He’ll take over as Sacramento’s third baseman for now, and if he
adjusts well, he could be back in the majors in a couple of weeks.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 38
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)