May 28, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
Tom Gorzelanny has allowed 13 runs and six home runs over his last three starts. Now we have some idea of what’s ailing him.
Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington reports that the Nationals have placed Gorzelanny on the 15-day disabled list with left elbow inflammation.
Gorzelanny has a 4.25 ERA and 48/20 K/BB ratio over his first nine starts this season. He had allowed two runs or less in five consecutive starts until his recent struggles.
Amanda Comak of the Washington Times reports that an MRI came back negative, so the southpaw is not expected to miss a significant period of time.
Yunesky Maya, who signed a four-year, $8 million contract with the Nationals last July, is expected to start in his place Sunday against the Padres. The Cuban right-hander underwhelmed in five starts down the stretch with the Nationals last season, but has a 3.79 ERA and 45/12 K/BB ratio over his first nine starts with Triple-A Syracuse this season.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)