May 28, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
Tom Gorzelanny has allowed 13 runs and six home runs over his last three starts. Now we have some idea of what’s ailing him.
Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington reports that the Nationals have placed Gorzelanny on the 15-day disabled list with left elbow inflammation.
Gorzelanny has a 4.25 ERA and 48/20 K/BB ratio over his first nine starts this season. He had allowed two runs or less in five consecutive starts until his recent struggles.
Amanda Comak of the Washington Times reports that an MRI came back negative, so the southpaw is not expected to miss a significant period of time.
Yunesky Maya, who signed a four-year, $8 million contract with the Nationals last July, is expected to start in his place Sunday against the Padres. The Cuban right-hander underwhelmed in five starts down the stretch with the Nationals last season, but has a 3.79 ERA and 45/12 K/BB ratio over his first nine starts with Triple-A Syracuse this season.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games