May 28, 2011, 12:20 PM EST
Tom Gorzelanny has allowed 13 runs and six home runs over his last three starts. Now we have some idea of what’s ailing him.
Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington reports that the Nationals have placed Gorzelanny on the 15-day disabled list with left elbow inflammation.
Gorzelanny has a 4.25 ERA and 48/20 K/BB ratio over his first nine starts this season. He had allowed two runs or less in five consecutive starts until his recent struggles.
Amanda Comak of the Washington Times reports that an MRI came back negative, so the southpaw is not expected to miss a significant period of time.
Yunesky Maya, who signed a four-year, $8 million contract with the Nationals last July, is expected to start in his place Sunday against the Padres. The Cuban right-hander underwhelmed in five starts down the stretch with the Nationals last season, but has a 3.79 ERA and 45/12 K/BB ratio over his first nine starts with Triple-A Syracuse this season.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)