May 28, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
Tom Gorzelanny has allowed 13 runs and six home runs over his last three starts. Now we have some idea of what’s ailing him.
Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington reports that the Nationals have placed Gorzelanny on the 15-day disabled list with left elbow inflammation.
Gorzelanny has a 4.25 ERA and 48/20 K/BB ratio over his first nine starts this season. He had allowed two runs or less in five consecutive starts until his recent struggles.
Amanda Comak of the Washington Times reports that an MRI came back negative, so the southpaw is not expected to miss a significant period of time.
Yunesky Maya, who signed a four-year, $8 million contract with the Nationals last July, is expected to start in his place Sunday against the Padres. The Cuban right-hander underwhelmed in five starts down the stretch with the Nationals last season, but has a 3.79 ERA and 45/12 K/BB ratio over his first nine starts with Triple-A Syracuse this season.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 16
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 23
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 41
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)