May 28, 2011, 12:20 PM EST
Tom Gorzelanny has allowed 13 runs and six home runs over his last three starts. Now we have some idea of what’s ailing him.
Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington reports that the Nationals have placed Gorzelanny on the 15-day disabled list with left elbow inflammation.
Gorzelanny has a 4.25 ERA and 48/20 K/BB ratio over his first nine starts this season. He had allowed two runs or less in five consecutive starts until his recent struggles.
Amanda Comak of the Washington Times reports that an MRI came back negative, so the southpaw is not expected to miss a significant period of time.
Yunesky Maya, who signed a four-year, $8 million contract with the Nationals last July, is expected to start in his place Sunday against the Padres. The Cuban right-hander underwhelmed in five starts down the stretch with the Nationals last season, but has a 3.79 ERA and 45/12 K/BB ratio over his first nine starts with Triple-A Syracuse this season.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 18
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 29
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 90
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (90)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)