May 29, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
From Baltimore Sun beat writer Jeff Zrebiec comes word that left-handed starter Brian Matusz has joined up with the Orioles and is likely to be activated for his 2011 regular season debut on Wednesday afternoon against the Mariners.
Matusz allowed just one run over five-plus innings Friday in his final rehab start at Triple-A Norfolk. He made three rehab appearances in all, posting a sparkling 1.20 ERA, 0.87 WHIP and 10/4 K/BB ratio across 15 total minor league frames.
The 24-year-old southpaw has been on the disabled list since the start of the season with a badly strained left intercostal muscle.
“It’s been a long tough road,” Matusz said Saturday while unpacking his things. “The DL hasn’t been fun. If everything feels good, and it should feel good, I’m lined up to pitch Wednesday. That’s the plan. I’m really excited. Right now I’m still focusing on getting ready for Wednesday. I feel good today. I don’t feel as sore this time around as I did after the start in Bowie. There are a lot of emotions going on right now. It was a long trip cross-country. I’m just happy to be here in the clubhouse. I’m excited to get back in my old routine.”
Matusz registered a 7-3 record, a 3.63 ERA and a 1.19 WHIP over his final 14 starts of the 2010 season. He should be able to throw around 100 pitches in his debut Wednesday against light-hitting Seattle.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)