May 29, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
From Baltimore Sun beat writer Jeff Zrebiec comes word that left-handed starter Brian Matusz has joined up with the Orioles and is likely to be activated for his 2011 regular season debut on Wednesday afternoon against the Mariners.
Matusz allowed just one run over five-plus innings Friday in his final rehab start at Triple-A Norfolk. He made three rehab appearances in all, posting a sparkling 1.20 ERA, 0.87 WHIP and 10/4 K/BB ratio across 15 total minor league frames.
The 24-year-old southpaw has been on the disabled list since the start of the season with a badly strained left intercostal muscle.
“It’s been a long tough road,” Matusz said Saturday while unpacking his things. “The DL hasn’t been fun. If everything feels good, and it should feel good, I’m lined up to pitch Wednesday. That’s the plan. I’m really excited. Right now I’m still focusing on getting ready for Wednesday. I feel good today. I don’t feel as sore this time around as I did after the start in Bowie. There are a lot of emotions going on right now. It was a long trip cross-country. I’m just happy to be here in the clubhouse. I’m excited to get back in my old routine.”
Matusz registered a 7-3 record, a 3.63 ERA and a 1.19 WHIP over his final 14 starts of the 2010 season. He should be able to throw around 100 pitches in his debut Wednesday against light-hitting Seattle.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 2
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 69
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)