May 29, 2011, 6:08 PM EST
Posey also had three torn ligaments in his left ankle repaired by Giants physicians.
He is slated to have a second surgery in 8-10 weeks to remove the hardware from his ankle.
When asked if Posey would be ready for Opening Day, Groescher responded: “I would think so. I think it’s a good prognosis.”
With Posey out, the Giants are currently going with Eli Whiteside as their starting catcher. They were shut out by the Brewers on Sunday, losing for the third time in four games since Posey went down.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)