May 29, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
Posey also had three torn ligaments in his left ankle repaired by Giants physicians.
He is slated to have a second surgery in 8-10 weeks to remove the hardware from his ankle.
When asked if Posey would be ready for Opening Day, Groescher responded: “I would think so. I think it’s a good prognosis.”
With Posey out, the Giants are currently going with Eli Whiteside as their starting catcher. They were shut out by the Brewers on Sunday, losing for the third time in four games since Posey went down.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)