May 29, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
Posey also had three torn ligaments in his left ankle repaired by Giants physicians.
He is slated to have a second surgery in 8-10 weeks to remove the hardware from his ankle.
When asked if Posey would be ready for Opening Day, Groescher responded: “I would think so. I think it’s a good prognosis.”
With Posey out, the Giants are currently going with Eli Whiteside as their starting catcher. They were shut out by the Brewers on Sunday, losing for the third time in four games since Posey went down.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 260
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 29
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (261)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)