May 29, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
Posey also had three torn ligaments in his left ankle repaired by Giants physicians.
He is slated to have a second surgery in 8-10 weeks to remove the hardware from his ankle.
When asked if Posey would be ready for Opening Day, Groescher responded: “I would think so. I think it’s a good prognosis.”
With Posey out, the Giants are currently going with Eli Whiteside as their starting catcher. They were shut out by the Brewers on Sunday, losing for the third time in four games since Posey went down.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 16
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (121)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)