May 29, 2011, 1:05 PM EDT
The Cubs had a busy little Sunday morning, according to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, making four 25-man roster moves.
Outfielder Reed Johnson was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a back injury, catcher Geovany Soto was activated from the 15-day disabled list, outfielder Brad Snyder was called up from Triple-A Iowa and catcher Welington Castillo was optioned to Triple-A Iowa. Got all that?
Johnson has hit .367/.435/.633 with two home runs and 18 RBI in 69 plate appearances this season for Chicago. He saw a bump in playing time when Marlon Byrd went down with facial fractures and had been performing at a high level both offensively and defensively. The Cubs will have a tough time getting production from center field with both now sidelined.
Soto has been on the disabled list since mid-May with a strained muscle in his left groin. He will return to a .226/.322/.387 batting line, three home runs and 12 RBI, accomplished in 31 games.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 10
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 68
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 72
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)