May 29, 2011, 9:12 PM EDT
While the official results won’t be known until Tuesday, doctors are “99 percent sure” Gary Carter has Grade 4 Glioblastoma and his brain tumors are inoperable, the New York Post reports.
Carter’s daughter, Kimmy Bloemers, wrote that the cancer “is like a snake of tumors that are connected across the back of the brain. The biggest tumor is on the left side of the brain.”
Blomers went on to write that Dr. Henry Friedman of the Duke Medical Center told the family the medical team will be “attacking and doing all we can to shrink these tumors. He explained that we are not fighting to prolong Dad’s life, instead, we are fighting to cure him completely.”
According to Wikipedia, Glioblastoma multiforme is the most common and most aggressive malignant primary brain tumor in humans and the median survival time after a diagnosis is approximately 14 months.
To say the least, Gary has a very tough fight coming up.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 58
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 68
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)