May 29, 2011, 9:12 PM EDT
While the official results won’t be known until Tuesday, doctors are “99 percent sure” Gary Carter has Grade 4 Glioblastoma and his brain tumors are inoperable, the New York Post reports.
Carter’s daughter, Kimmy Bloemers, wrote that the cancer “is like a snake of tumors that are connected across the back of the brain. The biggest tumor is on the left side of the brain.”
Blomers went on to write that Dr. Henry Friedman of the Duke Medical Center told the family the medical team will be “attacking and doing all we can to shrink these tumors. He explained that we are not fighting to prolong Dad’s life, instead, we are fighting to cure him completely.”
According to Wikipedia, Glioblastoma multiforme is the most common and most aggressive malignant primary brain tumor in humans and the median survival time after a diagnosis is approximately 14 months.
To say the least, Gary has a very tough fight coming up.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)