May 29, 2011, 4:02 PM EDT
Holliday has been able to serve as a pinch-hitter the last two nights in Colorado, but he is still apparently battling discomfort in his left quadriceps muscle and will be missing his sixth consecutive start.
It’s possible that the Cardinals are simply playing it safe with their slugger. Jon Jay and Allen Craig have been tremendously productive this season as backup outfielders, making life easier on management.
Holliday is batting .347/.440/.553 with six home runs, 13 doubles and 31 RBI in 175 plate appearances. He also missed time earlier this season after undergoing an emergency appendectomy.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)