May 29, 2011, 4:02 PM EDT
Holliday has been able to serve as a pinch-hitter the last two nights in Colorado, but he is still apparently battling discomfort in his left quadriceps muscle and will be missing his sixth consecutive start.
It’s possible that the Cardinals are simply playing it safe with their slugger. Jon Jay and Allen Craig have been tremendously productive this season as backup outfielders, making life easier on management.
Holliday is batting .347/.440/.553 with six home runs, 13 doubles and 31 RBI in 175 plate appearances. He also missed time earlier this season after undergoing an emergency appendectomy.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 200
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)