May 29, 2011, 4:02 PM EST
Holliday has been able to serve as a pinch-hitter the last two nights in Colorado, but he is still apparently battling discomfort in his left quadriceps muscle and will be missing his sixth consecutive start.
It’s possible that the Cardinals are simply playing it safe with their slugger. Jon Jay and Allen Craig have been tremendously productive this season as backup outfielders, making life easier on management.
Holliday is batting .347/.440/.553 with six home runs, 13 doubles and 31 RBI in 175 plate appearances. He also missed time earlier this season after undergoing an emergency appendectomy.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)