May 29, 2011, 4:02 PM EDT
Holliday has been able to serve as a pinch-hitter the last two nights in Colorado, but he is still apparently battling discomfort in his left quadriceps muscle and will be missing his sixth consecutive start.
It’s possible that the Cardinals are simply playing it safe with their slugger. Jon Jay and Allen Craig have been tremendously productive this season as backup outfielders, making life easier on management.
Holliday is batting .347/.440/.553 with six home runs, 13 doubles and 31 RBI in 175 plate appearances. He also missed time earlier this season after undergoing an emergency appendectomy.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (248)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)