May 29, 2011, 12:18 PM EST
Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington’s Nats Insider passes along notice that Nationals infielder Jerry Hairston Jr. has been suspended one game by Major League Baseball and fined an undisclosed amount for his “aggressive actions” toward home umpire Ed Hickox on Friday against the Padres.
Hairston was ejected in the seventh inning Friday evening after arguing that Padres starter Clayton Richard quick-pitched him before he could step into the batter’s box. Hairston tried to call time just before Richard’s delivery, but time was not granted and he slapped a lazy fly ball to center field that was easily snagged by Cameron Maybin.
Hairston began arguing immediately and didn’t even bother running down the first base line. He was ejected quickly and appeared to make light contact with Hickox while arguing his point.
Hairston has appealed the suspension and is in Sunday’s starting lineup.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 0
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 278
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (278)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)