May 29, 2011, 2:21 PM EDT
Giants manager Bruce Bochy provided an update Sunday on the status of third baseman Pablo Sandoval, who was placed on the disabled list in late April with a fractured hamate bone.
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, Sandoval will take batting practice with his Giants teammates when the club arrives in St. Louis on Monday and could begin a minor league rehab assignment soon after if all goes smoothly.
Bochy told Baggarly that Sandoval will be asked to take around 20 at-bats in the minor leagues before the Giants consider activating him.
Sandoval was batting a healthy .313/.374/.530 with 14 RBI through his first 91 late appearances this season. He hasn’t played in close to a month but remains the Giants’ co-leader in home runs with five.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)