May 29, 2011, 2:21 PM EDT
Giants manager Bruce Bochy provided an update Sunday on the status of third baseman Pablo Sandoval, who was placed on the disabled list in late April with a fractured hamate bone.
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, Sandoval will take batting practice with his Giants teammates when the club arrives in St. Louis on Monday and could begin a minor league rehab assignment soon after if all goes smoothly.
Bochy told Baggarly that Sandoval will be asked to take around 20 at-bats in the minor leagues before the Giants consider activating him.
Sandoval was batting a healthy .313/.374/.530 with 14 RBI through his first 91 late appearances this season. He hasn’t played in close to a month but remains the Giants’ co-leader in home runs with five.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 22
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)