May 29, 2011, 2:21 PM EDT
Giants manager Bruce Bochy provided an update Sunday on the status of third baseman Pablo Sandoval, who was placed on the disabled list in late April with a fractured hamate bone.
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, Sandoval will take batting practice with his Giants teammates when the club arrives in St. Louis on Monday and could begin a minor league rehab assignment soon after if all goes smoothly.
Bochy told Baggarly that Sandoval will be asked to take around 20 at-bats in the minor leagues before the Giants consider activating him.
Sandoval was batting a healthy .313/.374/.530 with 14 RBI through his first 91 late appearances this season. He hasn’t played in close to a month but remains the Giants’ co-leader in home runs with five.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 15
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 90
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 54
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (94)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (90)
- Yankees School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4