May 29, 2011, 6:32 PM EDT
Seriously, that’s why they won.
In a 6-6 game in the ninth, Mike Napoli tried to score all of the way from first on an Elvis Andrus single to right. The relay from Mitch Maier to Eric Hosmer to Brayan Pena got to the plate in plenty of time.
In fact, there was so much time that Pena assumed Napoli would try to bowl him over in his only home of scoring (Click here to see the play).
Instead, Napoli slid in under an out-of-position Pena and home-plate umpire Mike Estabrook surprisingly made the correct call. Pena’s tag came way up the body on Napoli’s arm after Napoli it looked like both of Napoli’s feet had already touched home plate.
The shocking ending could overshadow what would have been the prime storyline for the game: more struggles from both Neftali Feliz and Joakim Soria. Feliz, who entered a tie game in the top of the ninth, gave up an unearned run and nearly got charged with a loss to add to his three blown saves in four appearances against the Royals this season.
Soria, though, let him off the hook. He gave up a game-tying homer to Nelson Cruz to start the bottom of the ninth. Two more hits followed, but it looked like Soria would escape with the score tied when Napoli attempted to score. Instead, he was charged with both the blown save and the loss.
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 2
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 56
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 9
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Live Extra: Watch NHL Live postgame show
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger