May 29, 2011, 5:42 PM EDT
Yovani Gallardo tossed eight scoreless innings to become baseball’s fourth seven-game winner as the Brewers beat the Giants 6-0 on Sunday.
With Gallardo had 109 pitches, manager Ron Roenicke declined to let him go for his second shutout of the season. LaTroy Hawkins finished up with a scoreless ninth.
The Giants have been shut out twice and scored a total of seven runs while losing three out of four games since Buster Posey suffered a season-ending ankle injury. They gave Brandon Belt his first start today, and he went 1-for-3 while batting sixth. All six of the team’s hits were singles.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)