Bartolo Colon throws first shutout in five years against A’s

May 30, 2011, 8:24 PM EDT

Bartolo Colon, Francisco Cervelli

Bartolo Colon, who was pulled with a chance to go for a shutout in a 1-0 game 12 days ago, got his ninth career shutout Monday, pitching a four-hitter against the A’s.

Colon threw just 103 pitches in the game.  With the Yankees ahead 5-0, he was allowed to continue even after giving up a leadoff double in to Cliff Pennington in the ninth.  He ended up striking out six and walking none.

Colon was at 87 pitches when manager Joe Girardi opted to replace him with Mariano Rivera in the aforementioned start against the Orioles on May 18.  Rivera went on to blow his third save, but the Yankees did prevail 4-1 in 15 innings.

The shutout was the ninth of Colon’s career, tying him for fifth on the active list.  The Yankees have three of the seven pitchers with nine career shutouts: CC Sabathia (11) and A.J. Burnett (nine) being the others.  Roy Halladay is the active leader with 19 shutouts, six more than Chris Carpenter in second place.

1. proudlycanadian - May 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Matthew! I am going off topic, but I assume that you will see this. The Jays lead the Indians by 9 to 1 after 4 innings. Jo Jo Reyes is about to get his win after 26 consecuitve starts without one.

• yankeesfanlen - May 30, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Yankees told him that was okay after the game last Wednesday.
      Same way as Girardi told Bart today after the fiasco of the 18th.

• proudlycanadian - May 30, 2011 at 8:46 PM

An OK comment Len. As a Jays fan, I think that the Reyes story will be bigger news than the Colon story. Reyes has an 11 to 1 lead after 5 innings, so the game is now official.

• proudlycanadian - May 30, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Time for the Jo Jo Reyes wins for the first time after 28 consecutive starts thread. He pitched a complete game win over the league leading Indians.

2. Lukehart80 - May 30, 2011 at 8:41 PM

What kind of God allows a team like the Yankees to sign the tired, washed-up arm of Bartolo Colon and then lets him pitch like this?

• yankeesfanlen - May 30, 2011 at 8:53 PM

The God that bestows His blessing upon the greatest team in baseball.

• deathmonkey41 - May 30, 2011 at 9:00 PM

The same God that is obviously a Yankees fan and has enjoyed 27 World Championships!

• ditto65 - May 30, 2011 at 10:13 PM

A Great God.

• aceshigh11 - May 30, 2011 at 10:15 PM

As the inimitable Tom Araya of Slayer “sang”:

“Only in the darkness of Christ have I realized…god hates us all.

God hates us all.”

• deathmonkey41 - May 30, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Love the Yankees, but also love Slayer, so I’m torn by this statement.

3. uyf1950 - May 30, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Colon’s signing by the Yankees is turning out to be like “manna from heaven”. If he’s not the Yankees #2 right about now he’s darn close. Without him in the fold who knows where the Yankees would be this year so far. Yankees fans at this point would have to admit that Colon was a great, great signing by the Yankees. That’s just my opinion.
    BTW, I may be jumping the gun but as I’m writing this the White Sox are leading the Red Sox. Should the lead hold up and the Red Sox lose the Yankees will be back in 1st place in the AL East (even if it is only by percentage points).

• proudlycanadian - May 30, 2011 at 9:24 PM

I do not think that God had anything to do with Colon this year. Give credit to the scientists who did stem cell research. Not only is Boston losing, but so is Tampa Bay.

• uyf1950 - May 30, 2011 at 9:31 PM

I know several doctors (especially surgeons) that consider themselves god.

• royalsfaninfargo - May 30, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I know next to nothing about stem cells, but it does make you wonder how much that is affecting his performance.

• pisano - May 30, 2011 at 11:16 PM

uyf1950… my friend I was thinking the same thing. God only knows where the Yankees would be without him, but I venture to say it wouldn’t be in first place. While we’re on the subject of pitching I wonder how long it will take Boston to burn up Aceves? there had to be another reason aside from the collar bone thing why Cashman cut him loose.

• uyf1950 - May 30, 2011 at 11:27 PM

My friend, good to see you. It’s been a while. Aceves isn’t a starter he’s a good long relief guy when he’s healthy but not a starter. Getting back to the Yankees. I can see if Hughes comes back healthy them moving Nova to the bullpen. Nova, just is to inconsistent right now and would serve the Yankees better if he can give them say 3 or 4 strong innings in relief which seems to be his maximum distance of late. Maybe in time he can be stretched out but right now he doesn’t seem to be able to handle going the distance or even close to the distance. That’s just my opinion.

4. mgflolox - May 30, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Well, it’s not like he had to pitch against a Major League offense. Right now I think the Rivercats lineup could outscore the A’s.

• uyf1950 - May 30, 2011 at 11:33 PM

mgflolox, pitching a complete game shutout, giving up just 4 hits while striking out 6 with no walks is a good outing by any pitcher against any team. Much less for someone who missed all of the 2010 season and pitched sparingly in the prior 4 years. That’s just my opinion.

5. kiwicricket - May 30, 2011 at 10:36 PM

More manatee success for the Yank’s!

• cur68 - May 30, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Hmm, I thought Sabbathia was the manatee. Could Colon be a dugong?

• kiwicricket - May 30, 2011 at 11:33 PM

“The Dugong (sometimes referred to as the “Sea cow”) mammal, thick layer of fat giving them a distinctly rotund posture”….I think you may be correct Sir!

• cur68 - May 31, 2011 at 2:01 AM

6. pisano - May 31, 2011 at 12:45 AM

uyf1950… I have to take the good with the bad, I remember saying Nova would shine this year, but I totally agree with you that he’s too inconsistent to be counted on. It seems the fifth inning is when he hits the wall and everything caves in on him. If Hughes can get back to where he was before the dead arm that’s going to be a big help. Also there has to be something done about Posada, I have a feeling it might be coming as soon as Chavez gets off the DL. I’m also not thrilled with Andruw Jones he strikes out much too often. So the DH has to be addressed, but at least that won’t be as hard to fix as the pitching.

7. cogitobaseballergosum - May 31, 2011 at 2:26 AM

The sentence in this story that surprised me had nothing to do with Colon’s amazing come back, or throwing a four-hitter, but this one:

“The shutout was the ninth of Colon’s career, tying him for fifth on the active list.” That’s just sad.

Ya think maybe, just maybe, Walter Johnson’s shutout record is safe?

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet