May 30, 2011, 4:48 PM EDT
UPDATE: As expected, the Twins placed Liriano on the DL after today’s game.
Francisco Liriano and the Twins were hopeful that he’d miss just one start with shoulder soreness–and Anthony Swarzak nearly threw a no-hitter in his place Saturday–but Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Liriano “did not feel well when he played catch before today’s game.”
According to Christensen “he will likely miss one more start, at least.” Presumably the Twins will place him on the disabled list, with the stint backdated to May 23, although Minnesota often delays putting guys on the shelf for as long as possible.
Swarzak will no doubt start in Liriano’s place again Thursday versus the Royals. The good news is that an MRI exam revealed only inflammation, although given Liriano’s overall struggles this season his dealing with arm problems again is no surprise.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)