May 30, 2011, 4:48 PM EDT
UPDATE: As expected, the Twins placed Liriano on the DL after today’s game.
Francisco Liriano and the Twins were hopeful that he’d miss just one start with shoulder soreness–and Anthony Swarzak nearly threw a no-hitter in his place Saturday–but Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Liriano “did not feel well when he played catch before today’s game.”
According to Christensen “he will likely miss one more start, at least.” Presumably the Twins will place him on the disabled list, with the stint backdated to May 23, although Minnesota often delays putting guys on the shelf for as long as possible.
Swarzak will no doubt start in Liriano’s place again Thursday versus the Royals. The good news is that an MRI exam revealed only inflammation, although given Liriano’s overall struggles this season his dealing with arm problems again is no surprise.
- Ryne Sandberg opines on baseball’s steroid era 19
- Watch David Wells’ perfect game from 15 years ago today 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 61
- Army Lt. Col. surprises daughter on ceremonial first pitch 34
- Bryce Harper in Nationals’ lineup for first time since crashing into right field wall 8
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness