May 30, 2011, 4:48 PM EDT
UPDATE: As expected, the Twins placed Liriano on the DL after today’s game.
Francisco Liriano and the Twins were hopeful that he’d miss just one start with shoulder soreness–and Anthony Swarzak nearly threw a no-hitter in his place Saturday–but Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Liriano “did not feel well when he played catch before today’s game.”
According to Christensen “he will likely miss one more start, at least.” Presumably the Twins will place him on the disabled list, with the stint backdated to May 23, although Minnesota often delays putting guys on the shelf for as long as possible.
Swarzak will no doubt start in Liriano’s place again Thursday versus the Royals. The good news is that an MRI exam revealed only inflammation, although given Liriano’s overall struggles this season his dealing with arm problems again is no surprise.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)