May 30, 2011, 4:48 PM EDT
UPDATE: As expected, the Twins placed Liriano on the DL after today’s game.
Francisco Liriano and the Twins were hopeful that he’d miss just one start with shoulder soreness–and Anthony Swarzak nearly threw a no-hitter in his place Saturday–but Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Liriano “did not feel well when he played catch before today’s game.”
According to Christensen “he will likely miss one more start, at least.” Presumably the Twins will place him on the disabled list, with the stint backdated to May 23, although Minnesota often delays putting guys on the shelf for as long as possible.
Swarzak will no doubt start in Liriano’s place again Thursday versus the Royals. The good news is that an MRI exam revealed only inflammation, although given Liriano’s overall struggles this season his dealing with arm problems again is no surprise.
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 0
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 38
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)