May 30, 2011, 4:48 PM EDT
UPDATE: As expected, the Twins placed Liriano on the DL after today’s game.
Francisco Liriano and the Twins were hopeful that he’d miss just one start with shoulder soreness–and Anthony Swarzak nearly threw a no-hitter in his place Saturday–but Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Liriano “did not feel well when he played catch before today’s game.”
According to Christensen “he will likely miss one more start, at least.” Presumably the Twins will place him on the disabled list, with the stint backdated to May 23, although Minnesota often delays putting guys on the shelf for as long as possible.
Swarzak will no doubt start in Liriano’s place again Thursday versus the Royals. The good news is that an MRI exam revealed only inflammation, although given Liriano’s overall struggles this season his dealing with arm problems again is no surprise.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 10
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 16
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 25
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)