Hanley Ramirez says he can’t put on his shoes due to back problem

May 30, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT

Hanley Ramirez Getty Images

Hanley Ramirez, the National League’s other extremely disappointing superstar, was held out of Monday’s lineup after leaving Sunday’s game with lower back soreness.  He told the Palm Beach Post the discomfort there and in his upper left leg “the worst pain I’ve ever had in my life, in my career.”

I feel it doing anything. I can’t even put my shoes on. To get up from bed I have to take 10, 15 seconds. I have to do everything slow. That’s the worst pain Ive ever had in my life, in my career, that back…

I’m getting tingles in my (upper left) leg. That’s not a good sign. That’s what we’re worried about right now, to get this thing out of my leg.

Incredibly, Ramirez still hasn’t seen a doctor about the problem, though it looks like he’ll finally be forced to now.  An MRI also seems likely.

The back isn’t necessarily the root of Ramirez’s problems: he’s actually played quite a bit better this month than he did in April.  Still, it’s definitely an issue and the Marlins may want to stash him on the DL to see if he can come back at 100 percent in a couple of weeks.

1. Old Gator - May 30, 2011 at 7:38 PM

I’m impressed by how butch he is. A month? Well, Hanley, you’re a hero in the mirror for enduring this, but you’ve been killing the team afield in the meantime. And who knows how much worse you made it by not getting it treated early on? Ah well. Let’s stir the pot at AAA and see what we come up with.

• kiwicricket - May 30, 2011 at 11:01 PM

I couldn’t agree more Gator. If he was hurt, get out of there and sort yourself out. It was not like the awful defence and the steamed carrot he was swinging was worth the aggravation. Perhaps the giant fishing lure Loria bought him had something to do with the back problems?

• Old Gator - May 30, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Nothing has gone right for the Hanster since Loria bestowed that bejeweled monkey’s paw on him, has it? Sub-par season last year; meltdown this year that’s the baseball equivalent of Chernobyl, Three Mile Island and Fukushima all rolled into one. And every time he throws the damned thing in the ocean, it comes right back again. First, he nearly choked on it in a stone crab. Then he went way out on the jetty at 79th Street and threw it as far out as he could. It sailed off to the left, like his pegs to first, but he managed to hit the water anyway. Two days later his toilet was backing up and the when the Roto Rooter serviceman pulled out his snake, there it was in the claspers. Finally, he hired a Donzi, went off beyond the continental shelf, weighted it down with cinderblocks and dumped it. A few days later he was walking on South Beach and a seagull crapped on his head. When the mute went >doink!splatt!<, he reached up and…you guessed it!

I have a Santera friend I need to send Haley to see. He does make enough to afford all the goats it's going to take to get out from under Scrooge McLoria's anathema.

• JBerardi - May 31, 2011 at 12:27 AM

This caught my eye:

“Ramirez said the back has been bothering him for “maybe a month,” but that he kept it secret from everyone except manager Edwin Rodriguez.”

I expect players to make dumb decisions about this stuff, but his manager should clearly know better.

• Old Gator - May 31, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Question is, when did he finally tell Rodriguez? How did he represent the pain – did he say he could play through it? Did he disclose how bad it was, or was getting? Hard to say. In any case Hanley took a risk with his back. Not smart any way you slice it.

2. skerney - May 30, 2011 at 10:06 PM

One of the most talented players in the league probably has a bulging disc in his back and the Marlins can’t get him to a doctor? He could really mess himself up. The Marlins can win the east and they need Ramirez to be healthy.

• Old Gator - May 30, 2011 at 10:20 PM

They can’t get him to a doctor if he doesn’t tell them that something’s wrong. One assumes now that he’s decided to unburden himself of his heroic secret that the team will finally get him examined.

Sure, the Feesh can “win the division” if all of the following conditions are met:

(1) Josh Johnson is OK and he returns quickly;
      (2) Chris Coghlan returns to his 2010 form;
      (3) Mike Stanton stops chasing unhittable pitches;
      (4) Hanley heals quickly and returns to 2010 form;
      (5) Chris Volstad stops being so erratic;
      (6) Javier Vazquez has a Bartolo Colon bounceback season;
      (7) the Feelies team bus goes over a cliff.

• kiwicricket - May 30, 2011 at 11:17 PM

“the Feelies team bus goes over a cliff”…..But Halladay will emerge from the flaming wreckage with half his face missing, exposing the ‘cybernetic organism’ endoskeleton.

• Old Gator - May 30, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Yeah. We need to go back in time and stop this thing in the making. Like the bumper sticker says, “Got Chronosynclastic Infundibulum?”

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5384)