May 30, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
The Marlins had previously hoped that Josh Johnson would be able to return from the disabled list for a start on June 7 against the Braves, but manager Edwin Rodriguez told Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel earlier today that it’s doubtful he’ll be ready so soon.
“It’s very uncertain at this point,” Rodriguez said. “It’ll come down to how he feels. We have to wait and see until [Tuesday] and then he will decide when he feels ready to throw a bullpen…We’ve been shuffling some options. I would hate to use the bullpen. That would affect your whole strategy before and after the fact you use the bullpen day.”
Johnson went 3-1 with a 1.64 ERA and 56/20 K/BB ratio over his first nine starts before being placed on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation earlier this month.
The Marlins don’t have many alternatives for the start on June 7, as right-hander Jay Buente was recently claimed off waivers by the Rays. Rodriguez actually used five relievers Saturday against the Dodgers and while the strategy proved successful in a 6-1 victory, they obviously can’t afford to go that route on a regular basis.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)