May 30, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
The Marlins had previously hoped that Josh Johnson would be able to return from the disabled list for a start on June 7 against the Braves, but manager Edwin Rodriguez told Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel earlier today that it’s doubtful he’ll be ready so soon.
“It’s very uncertain at this point,” Rodriguez said. “It’ll come down to how he feels. We have to wait and see until [Tuesday] and then he will decide when he feels ready to throw a bullpen…We’ve been shuffling some options. I would hate to use the bullpen. That would affect your whole strategy before and after the fact you use the bullpen day.”
Johnson went 3-1 with a 1.64 ERA and 56/20 K/BB ratio over his first nine starts before being placed on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation earlier this month.
The Marlins don’t have many alternatives for the start on June 7, as right-hander Jay Buente was recently claimed off waivers by the Rays. Rodriguez actually used five relievers Saturday against the Dodgers and while the strategy proved successful in a 6-1 victory, they obviously can’t afford to go that route on a regular basis.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 4
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 90
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 70
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 43
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (83)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)