May 30, 2011, 6:37 PM EDT
Four-time Gold Glove catcher Mike Matheny, whose career was ended by concussions, said Scott Cousins was “hunting” when he hit Buster Posey and knocked out the 2010 Rookie of the Year for the rest of the season.
“You know what, it wasn’t a dirty play, he didn’t come high spikes, he didn’t come high elbow,” Matheny said Monday. “But it wasn’t a necessary play. He was hunting. Buster gave him an option and he didn’t take it.”
Matheny, who played for the Giants but is best known for the years he spent with the Cardinals, said that he’s not in favor of changing the rules to protect catchers, but he’s also not opposed to catchers giving back.
“I don’t think you legislate,” he said. “I think you just put a mark in the column that that kid took a run at a catcher. To me as a catcher I know the next time I get the ball I’m going to stick it to him.”
Matheny probably had several seasons left as a backup catcher before concussions ended his career in 2006. Now 40, he said he’s largely symptom free, but that he still gets headaches and such if he overdoes it athletically.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)