May 30, 2011, 6:37 PM EDT
Four-time Gold Glove catcher Mike Matheny, whose career was ended by concussions, said Scott Cousins was “hunting” when he hit Buster Posey and knocked out the 2010 Rookie of the Year for the rest of the season.
“You know what, it wasn’t a dirty play, he didn’t come high spikes, he didn’t come high elbow,” Matheny said Monday. “But it wasn’t a necessary play. He was hunting. Buster gave him an option and he didn’t take it.”
Matheny, who played for the Giants but is best known for the years he spent with the Cardinals, said that he’s not in favor of changing the rules to protect catchers, but he’s also not opposed to catchers giving back.
“I don’t think you legislate,” he said. “I think you just put a mark in the column that that kid took a run at a catcher. To me as a catcher I know the next time I get the ball I’m going to stick it to him.”
Matheny probably had several seasons left as a backup catcher before concussions ended his career in 2006. Now 40, he said he’s largely symptom free, but that he still gets headaches and such if he overdoes it athletically.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)