May 30, 2011, 9:52 AM EDT
Happy Memorial Day everyone. Hope you have a nice day off and, as you’re having that day off, hope you take the time to think about why you’re getting it.
From a baseball perspective, we’ll no doubt hear and read stories today about the major leaguers who served in the military. A good place to start with this is over at The Platoon Advantage, where The Common Man has some stories of some of the less-famous ballplayers who served out nation heroically and don’t tend to get a lot of general recognition for it.
We all know about Bob Feller and Ted Williams, and nothing can be taken away from their legacies as both ballplayers and servicemen. But we’d all probably do well to think about Gabby Street and Al Bumbry too.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 17
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 25
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)