May 30, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Russell Martin fouled a ball off his foot in Saturday’s game against the Mariners. I hear that Steve Kelley thought it was a fantastic play. The bad part of it is that it caused Joe Girardi to have to scratch Martin from today’s game with the Athletics. Martin was originally in the lineup today but it apparently didn’t feel too good today and I assume he’s day-to-day.
Losing Martin — who is more indispensable to the Yankees than Miguel Olivo is to the Mariners — is not a good thing, so you know New York wants him back as soon as possible. If the toe is still hurting tomorrow, word is that there’s a guy out there who can get Martin a toe, believe me. There are ways. You don’t wanna know about it, believe me. Hell, he can get them a toe by 3 o’clock this afternoon.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 338
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 78
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 52
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (340)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (151)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)