May 30, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
Russell Martin fouled a ball off his foot in Saturday’s game against the Mariners. I hear that Steve Kelley thought it was a fantastic play. The bad part of it is that it caused Joe Girardi to have to scratch Martin from today’s game with the Athletics. Martin was originally in the lineup today but it apparently didn’t feel too good today and I assume he’s day-to-day.
Losing Martin — who is more indispensable to the Yankees than Miguel Olivo is to the Mariners — is not a good thing, so you know New York wants him back as soon as possible. If the toe is still hurting tomorrow, word is that there’s a guy out there who can get Martin a toe, believe me. There are ways. You don’t wanna know about it, believe me. Hell, he can get them a toe by 3 o’clock this afternoon.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (144)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)