May 30, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
It’s not terribly uncommon for a game to be called by three umpires if one of the crew takes ill or gets injured or something. But yesterday’s Mets-Phillies game was worked by a three-man crew because one of them — Wally Bell — didn’t show for the game.
Though one has to assume that it wasn’t just a blind no-show, no explanation was given for Bell’s absence. Here’s hoping that he’s OK. He had open heart surgery in 1999 and he’s not a small man, so part of me worries.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 35
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 9
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 31
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)