May 30, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
It’s not terribly uncommon for a game to be called by three umpires if one of the crew takes ill or gets injured or something. But yesterday’s Mets-Phillies game was worked by a three-man crew because one of them — Wally Bell — didn’t show for the game.
Though one has to assume that it wasn’t just a blind no-show, no explanation was given for Bell’s absence. Here’s hoping that he’s OK. He had open heart surgery in 1999 and he’s not a small man, so part of me worries.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 52
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)