May 30, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
It’s not terribly uncommon for a game to be called by three umpires if one of the crew takes ill or gets injured or something. But yesterday’s Mets-Phillies game was worked by a three-man crew because one of them — Wally Bell — didn’t show for the game.
Though one has to assume that it wasn’t just a blind no-show, no explanation was given for Bell’s absence. Here’s hoping that he’s OK. He had open heart surgery in 1999 and he’s not a small man, so part of me worries.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)