May 31, 2011, 8:35 PM EDT
Blue Jays right-hander Dustin McGowan, last seen on a major league mound in July 2008, has hit 95 mph on the gun while throwing in extended spring training and should begin a rehab assignment in about three weeks, according to manager John Farrell.
Shi Davidi reports that the Jays are considering stretching out McGowan and attempting to bring him back as a starter. They’ll start by pitching him two innings at a time. They’re going as slow as possible with him, so they plan on leaving him in extended spring training until that wraps up on June 20. Then he could begin a 30-day rehab assignment if he’s still healthy.
McGowan has underwent both labrum and rotator cuff surgeries since last pitching for the Blue Jays. A 2000 supplemental first-round pick, he was long a top prospect. In his one mostly full major league season, he went 12-10 with a 4.08 ERA and a 144/61 K/BB ratio in 169 2/3 innings in 2007. He hurt his shoulder the next year and has struggled ever since to make it back.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 12
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?