May 31, 2011, 9:10 PM EDT
Mariners manager Eric Wedge has finally decided to put the struggling Chone Figgins out of his misery.
At least for a little while.
According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, Figgins will get the next couple of days off in order to clear his head. Luis Rodriguez will make the start at third base tonight against the Orioles, though Wedge was quick to mention that this is not a permanent change.
“I’m going to give Chone a couple of days just to get him away from it a little bit,” Wedge said. “Obviously I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about him and a few of the other guys, too. We’re looking to navigate through this the best way we feel like (we can) to get him back on track as quick as possible.”
Figgins is batting .190/.232/.256 hitless over 209 plate appearances this season and is hitless over his last 22 at-bats dating back to May 23. The 33-year-old is two years removed from leading the American League in walks, but is currently drawing walks at a career-low rate of 5.3 percent. Meanwhile, he is just 7-for-12 in stolen base attempts. His line drive percentage has dropped sharply over the past two seasons, so his current batting average isn’t just a matter of bad luck. There’s a real chance we’re watching his decline.
The Mariners signed Figgins to a four-year, $36 million contract in December of 2009. He is still guaranteed $9 million in 2012 and $8 million in 2013.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 9
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)