May 31, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
Unfortunately the news isn’t getting any better for Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter.
According to the Associated Press, doctors have confirmed that Carter has a glioblastoma, a malignant brain tumor. Because the location of the tumor makes surgery difficult, Carter will soon begin an aggressive treatment plan consisting of chemotherapy and radiation.
ESPN New York passed along a full statement from Duke University doctors Allan H. Friedman and Henry S. Friedman.
The results of biopsies performed on the tumor in Gary Carter’s brain have conclusively shown that Mr. Carter has a glioblastoma. While surgery is not a good option given the location of the tumor, we discussed an aggressive treatment plan with Mr. Carter and his family, which will include chemotherapy and radiation. Mr. Carter will be returning home to Florida to begin the next phase of his treatment, but we will continue to work closely with his medical team. Mr. Carter’s youth, strong physical condition and fighting spirit will be to his advantage as his treatment commences. The outpouring of support for Mr. Carter has been incredible and we trust that his many friends and fans will join us in continuing to pray for him and his family.
Carter has always been a man of tremendous faith, which should serve him well at this challenging time. His lasting legacy with many Mets fans is how he didn’t want to make the final out in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series, so while sports aren’t all that important in the grand scheme of things, Carter’s pride and determination have already brought him a long way in life. Wishing you the best, “Kid.”
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)