May 31, 2011, 2:32 PM EST
One of the more overlooked Bob Dylan songs of all time is “Day of the Locusts,” which recounts his mixed feelings on the day on which he received an honorary degree from Princeton University. I love Bob Dylan more than any artist in the history of music, but like a lot of his songs, it was motivated by a bit of snotty cynicism and “I’m-better-than-you” sentiment. Probably didn’t help that he had David Crosby with him the day he got his degree. I’m guessing the two of them circa 1970 were damn nigh insufferable together.
Hall of Famer Hank Aaron can add an honorary degree from Princeton University to his trophy case. The former home run record-holder was awarded an honorary doctorate of humanities for making America a better place with his “imperishable example of grace under pressure.” The university cited how he kept his cool while pursuing Babe Ruth’s home run record nearly 40 years ago.
See that? “Grace under pressure.” Which means that this is the first baseball post in the history of blogging that cites both Bob Dylan and Rush at the same time.
Sorry to drag you into this, Hank.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)