May 31, 2011, 2:32 PM EDT
One of the more overlooked Bob Dylan songs of all time is “Day of the Locusts,” which recounts his mixed feelings on the day on which he received an honorary degree from Princeton University. I love Bob Dylan more than any artist in the history of music, but like a lot of his songs, it was motivated by a bit of snotty cynicism and “I’m-better-than-you” sentiment. Probably didn’t help that he had David Crosby with him the day he got his degree. I’m guessing the two of them circa 1970 were damn nigh insufferable together.
Hall of Famer Hank Aaron can add an honorary degree from Princeton University to his trophy case. The former home run record-holder was awarded an honorary doctorate of humanities for making America a better place with his “imperishable example of grace under pressure.” The university cited how he kept his cool while pursuing Babe Ruth’s home run record nearly 40 years ago.
See that? “Grace under pressure.” Which means that this is the first baseball post in the history of blogging that cites both Bob Dylan and Rush at the same time.
Sorry to drag you into this, Hank.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 103
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1