May 31, 2011, 2:32 PM EST
One of the more overlooked Bob Dylan songs of all time is “Day of the Locusts,” which recounts his mixed feelings on the day on which he received an honorary degree from Princeton University. I love Bob Dylan more than any artist in the history of music, but like a lot of his songs, it was motivated by a bit of snotty cynicism and “I’m-better-than-you” sentiment. Probably didn’t help that he had David Crosby with him the day he got his degree. I’m guessing the two of them circa 1970 were damn nigh insufferable together.
Hall of Famer Hank Aaron can add an honorary degree from Princeton University to his trophy case. The former home run record-holder was awarded an honorary doctorate of humanities for making America a better place with his “imperishable example of grace under pressure.” The university cited how he kept his cool while pursuing Babe Ruth’s home run record nearly 40 years ago.
See that? “Grace under pressure.” Which means that this is the first baseball post in the history of blogging that cites both Bob Dylan and Rush at the same time.
Sorry to drag you into this, Hank.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)