Is Clint Hurdle OK?

May 31, 2011, 4:30 PM EST

Clint Hurdle red face.bmp

I’m not mocking here, I’m serious.  That pic is a screen capture from the Cubs-Pirates game the other day.  I went and found it in this highlight after people started tweeting around another image of it this afternoon, claiming that it wasn’t doctored. I found it hard to believe, but it apparently isn’t doctored.

Is this a trick of the Wrigley Field light?  Does Hurdle have some sort of medical condition that makes his face look that purple?  I tried to Google it and couldn’t find anything.  But man, if my dad looked like that I’d make sure he got to a doctor’s office immediately.

If anyone can tell me what I’m missing, please let me know. Cause that’s just scary.

1. Jonny 5 - May 31, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Food allergies from shellfish can get like that.

• mightymoonworm - May 31, 2011 at 4:46 PM

But shellfish allergies would probably leave him lying on the ground gasping for air too.

2. halladaysbicepts - May 31, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Clint Hurdle is going to the same doctor that Sammy Sosa goes to for his skin issues, except Clint is looking for the opposite effect.

• ditto65 - May 31, 2011 at 5:42 PM

There’s that trademark “Humor” again.

3. bloodysock - May 31, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I hope he’s OK. He looks like something out of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (either an Oompa Loompa or Violet Beauregarde).

4. skipperxc - May 31, 2011 at 4:47 PM

It’s like he fell asleep in the clubhouse with a facial mask made of beets, that’s unreal. You have to hope it’s the result of a team prank or an allergic reaction or something comparatively benign.

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 31, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Was he coming out of the dugout to talk to Joe West and his crew? If so, that is a completely normal, and even expected physical reaction from an MLB manager.

6. halladaysbicepts - May 31, 2011 at 4:49 PM

In that picture he looks like a retarded smurf.

• aceshigh11 - May 31, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Keep trying…

I have faith that you’ll eventually post something so offensive that it miraculously results in more “thumbs up” than “thumbs down” votes.

• halladaysbicepts - May 31, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Honestly, I keep looking at Clint’s picture and can’t stop laughing….

• wickedworld123 - May 31, 2011 at 4:55 PM

you’re just in a league of your own when you say shit like that

• ditto65 - May 31, 2011 at 7:37 PM

“Zing!”

• kmgannon - May 31, 2011 at 10:39 PM

“bicepts?” Really?

• jjschiller - Jun 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM

*smurft

7. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - May 31, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Oh my god, I can’t look at that anymore.

8. aceshigh11 - May 31, 2011 at 4:50 PM

That’s really scary. Might be nothing, but I’d sure as hell get it checked it.

9. rmalmstrom - May 31, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Worked at a car wash when i was a teen and there was a guy that came through every week with a similar condition. I never knew what it was though.

10. sayheykidwschamp - May 31, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Willy Wonka: It happens every time, they all become blueberries.

Willy Wonka: The strawberries taste like strawberries, and the snozzberries taste like snozzberries.
    Veruca Salt: Snozzberries? Who ever heard of a snozzberry?
    Willy Wonka: *We* are the music makers… and *we* are the dreamers of dreams.

Clint Hurdle…the dreamers of dreams.

11. adenzeno - May 31, 2011 at 6:14 PM

He looked very “tanned ” last night in the Mets game-I hope he is OK-He seems like a good guy and tries to stay positive and loves the game.

12. cur68 - May 31, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Well, I’d seriously like to know his temperature & BP. High blood pressure can make a fair skinned person that red. He seems lumpy though. Several conditions spring to mind.

Lupus erythematosus might do it. It’s autoimmune in nature and tends to be a bright red rash on the forehead and cheeks. The Canadian singer Seal suffered from it I think, hence the cheek scars.

Dermatitis herpetiformis (likely the same condition that afflicted Jean-Paul Marat of the French Revolution) causes a raised red rash that can start on the face and forehead but is usually on the knees, buttocks, or backs of joints. Not likely that’s it.

Fifth Disease or “hand slap” disease might do it; often confined to the face it’s a virus (I think it’s parvo virus but don’t quote me) that starts with a fever and leaves the cheeks looking like they’d been slapped red. Not usually THAT lumpy though. And usually only kids get this and then it’s on the body as general rash. If this is it he’s got painful joints, too.

This could very well be a variety of rosacea (I think it’s acne rosacea but don’t quote me; not sure about that name). On the face it’s a harmless lumpy red rash that can be characterized by a lumpy red nose. Non-communicable, it can be painful . I’m betting this is it.

Frankly though this could be simple hives. That’s usually lumpy, red and starts on the face. Lots of things can cause hives. Many of them quite innocuous.

He needs a dermatologist, like yesterday.

• Utley's Hair - May 31, 2011 at 6:33 PM

An allergic reaction to pie? Get that man some cake, STAT!!!!!!!

• drmonkeyarmy - May 31, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Or maybe Addison’s disease (JFK had it). That could case the skin color, but again not the lumpiness.

• cur68 - May 31, 2011 at 7:42 PM

drmonkeyarmy; I think rosacea. Anything meds-wise you can think of to treat? All I got is “stay way from topical steroids”.

• drmonkeyarmy - May 31, 2011 at 8:43 PM

If rosacea the pharmacological treatment is I believe an oral tetracycline and topical metronidazole. They use to use Accutane but that isn’t on the market anymore. Also, staying away from the sun and exertion in hot temperatures. I think alcohol makes it worse too.

• 4d3fect - May 31, 2011 at 11:00 PM

I’ve got a mild case of it, runs in my maternal grandmother’s family–doc says stay away from stress, alcohol, caffeine, and stay out of the sun.

Great, prison would be just the right treatment, thanks doc.

13. royalsfaninfargo - May 31, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Maybe he fell asleep in a tanning booth?

• Old Gator - May 31, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Cur: cortisone reaction? The bloating is pretty exaggerated.

• cur68 - May 31, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Yeah could be cortisone, hence hives still in the picture. Right now we need a real good exam and a history. Too bad no dermatologists comment on this thing. Where are those guys any ways? No one has more free time than a skin guy.

• jwbiii - May 31, 2011 at 9:55 PM

So send it to Rany on the Royals.

14. schmedley69 - May 31, 2011 at 9:21 PM

That’s what happens when you chew gum 24/7.

15. deathmonkey41 - Jun 1, 2011 at 7:37 AM

Damn my colorblindness! He just looks tan to me.

16. StottsEra - Jun 1, 2011 at 3:52 PM

fine according to deadspin http://deadspin.com/5807470/clint-hurdle-is-fine-everybody

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (3934)